1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need guidance/advice on post-secondary

1. Nov 15, 2013 #1
    Hey all, I am currently a grade 11 student in Winnipeg (Canada), but am not sure which university to go to. I plan on going into physics and getting my BSc and then going to get my PhD (Lets not turn this into a discussion of the likely-hood of that please) I've read on a few other forums that it doesn't really matter where you go for your undergrad degree. Is this true?

Also I would like to go to U of Waterloo instead of U of Manitoba, but I'm still not completely sure of all the costs and possible scholarships I could receive. SO does it matter where i get my undergrad degree? My goal is to be a professor.

Also my current marks are all in the ninties, if that makes any difference of imput; Thanbks for any and all feedback!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2013 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The place to get a UG degree is not that important as long as it is good enough.
    I don't know much about Canadian physics except McGill, Toronto, and UBC, which are all top places.
    I looked at the U of Waterloo website, and it looks quite good enough for you to get a good UG education
    (whch depends more on you than them). Good luck.

4. Nov 16, 2013 #3
    Okay thank you!

5. Nov 16, 2013 #4

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

To a point it matters where you go, as there is a difference in undergrad opportunities like research. Also, networking , while not important in and of itself for getting into a good phd program is also something to consider.

6. Nov 16, 2013 #5

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think in the US there is a broader sprectrum between universities. In Canada the standards seem to be reasonably uniform. As a result, for example, most Canadian graduate schools don't require the GRE as part of their application process. Both Waterloo and Manitoba have well-respected programs. Waterloo is a little more famous.

So you really can pick a program/school based on factors that are more important to you individually. See if you can find out, for example, what opportunities are available for undergraduate students at each school. Are they getting involved in research projects? What are some of the projects students are currently working on and do those appeal to you?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook