1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help finding the sum of a sequence

1. Nov 3, 2008 #1
    I have to sequence 2*(n-1)*x^(2n), I have tried integrating and then finding the sum and then derivating the sum, and I allmost get the right answer.

But I think I am integrating wrong since I really dont know of the integrate when I have ^(2n), and not only n.

please help

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2008 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When you integrate x2n Just write k=2n. Then integral of xk is xk+1/(k+1) = x2n+1/(2n+1)

4. Nov 3, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You know, I presume, that the integral of xn is 1/(n+1) xn+1+ C where n can be any number. Well, 2n is just a number! The integral of x2n is 1/(2n+1) x2n+1+ C. So the integral of 2(n-1)x2n is 2((n-1)/(2n+1))x2n+1. But I don't think that will help you find the sum!

5. Nov 3, 2008 #4
    How should I find the sum then?

6. Nov 3, 2008 #5
    differentiate sum x^2n and see what you get. Or better yet, differentiate x^(2(n-1))

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?