Need help in calculating view factor in radiation

• Thread starter pranavladkat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radiation
In summary, view factor is a dimensionless parameter that represents the proportion of energy radiated from one surface that is intercepted by another surface. It is calculated using the geometric configuration of the two surfaces and can be affected by factors such as orientation, distance, emissivity, temperature, and surface roughness. Calculating the view factor is important in radiation heat transfer analysis for designing and optimizing thermal systems and processes, as well as understanding material behavior. The view factor can be greater than 1, but it cannot be less than 0.
pranavladkat
Hi,

I need help in calculating the view factor F2-2 in the geometry that attached below.

I tried to use the crossed string method for calculating the view factors but I'm not sure if its right.

can anybody give a hint how do I find the view factor F2-2?

Thanks,
Pranav

Attachments

• WIN_20131111_104706.jpg
    WIN_20131111_104706.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 404
Engineering news on Phys.org
Anyways, I found the answer after trying for some more time!

1. What is view factor in radiation?

View factor, also known as shape factor or configuration factor, is a dimensionless parameter that represents the proportion of energy radiated from one surface that is intercepted by another surface. It is an important factor in calculating the amount of radiation heat transfer between two surfaces.

2. How is view factor calculated?

The view factor is calculated using the geometric configuration of the two surfaces involved in the radiation. It can be calculated using mathematical equations or through experimental methods. Various software programs are also available to calculate the view factor for complex geometries.

3. What factors affect the view factor?

The view factor is primarily affected by the geometric configuration of the two surfaces, their orientation, and the distance between them. Other factors such as surface emissivity, temperature, and surface roughness can also have an impact on the view factor.

4. Why is calculating view factor important?

Calculating the view factor is important in radiation heat transfer analysis as it helps in determining the amount of heat exchanged between two surfaces. It is crucial in designing and optimizing thermal systems and processes, as well as in understanding the behavior of materials under high temperatures.

5. Can the view factor be greater than 1?

Yes, the view factor can be greater than 1. This typically occurs in situations where there is a high degree of radiation exchange between two surfaces, such as in a small enclosed space or between parallel surfaces. However, the view factor cannot be less than 0, as this would indicate that there is no radiation exchange between the two surfaces.