Need help in matlab is it possible to inverse a Matrix involve unknown?

In summary, it is possible to inverse a matrix in Matlab even if it involves unknown variables. The <code>inv</code> function can handle matrices with unknown variables and can be used by specifying the matrix as the input. It can also handle matrices with multiple unknown variables and can give the result in terms of the unknown variables. After inverting a matrix, it is possible to solve for the unknown variables using the <code>solve</code> function. However, there are limitations to this process, such as the <code>inv</code> function being able to handle only up to 10 unknown variables and the possibility of the inverse operation being impossible for singular or zero determinant matrices.
feicobain
I need to find the transfer function a system equation and it is in the form

[x/y]=[A]^-1

x is input, y is out

[A] is a 2x2 matrix in the form of

A=[1+s 2
3 4+s ]

s is the laplace tranform function

Is it possible to output the inverse of [A] in MATLAB even it involve s?

I know I can inverse a 2x2 matrix by hand but I can't inverse a 4x4 matrix.

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know, not without the symbolic toolbox. Maple or Mathematica or Mathcad (or my old TI-89) can, however.

Yes, it is possible to output the inverse of [A] in MATLAB even if it involves unknowns. MATLAB has built-in functions for matrix inversion, such as the "inv" function. However, in this case, since the matrix [A] involves the variable "s", it is not a constant matrix and cannot be inverted using traditional methods. You will need to use symbolic variables and functions in MATLAB to handle the unknowns in the matrix.

One way to solve this problem is to use the "sym" function in MATLAB to create symbolic variables for the unknowns in the matrix. Then, you can use the "inv" function to invert the matrix and obtain the symbolic inverse. From there, you can use the "subs" function to substitute specific values for "s" and obtain a numerical inverse matrix.

Another approach is to use the "minverse" function in MATLAB, which can handle symbolic variables and functions in the matrix. This function will automatically compute the inverse matrix, taking into account the unknowns in the matrix.

Overall, it is possible to obtain the inverse of [A] in MATLAB even if it involves unknowns, but you will need to use symbolic variables and functions to handle the unknowns in the matrix.

1) Can I inverse a matrix in Matlab if it involves unknown variables?

Yes, it is possible to inverse a matrix in Matlab even if it involves unknown variables. Matlab has a built-in function called inv that can handle matrices with unknown variables.

2) How do I inverse a matrix with unknowns in Matlab?

To inverse a matrix with unknowns in Matlab, you can use the inv function and specify the matrix as the input. If the matrix contains variables, Matlab will treat them as symbols and perform the inverse operation symbolically.

3) Can I use the inv function for a matrix with multiple unknown variables?

Yes, the inv function in Matlab can handle matrices with multiple unknown variables. It will perform the inverse operation symbolically and give the result in terms of the unknown variables.

4) Is it possible to solve for the unknown variables after inverting a matrix in Matlab?

Yes, it is possible to solve for the unknown variables after inverting a matrix in Matlab. You can use the solve function to solve for the unknown variables using the inverted matrix and a set of equations.

5) Are there any limitations to inverting matrices with unknown variables in Matlab?

Yes, there are some limitations when inverting matrices with unknown variables in Matlab. The inv function can only handle matrices with up to 10 unknown variables. Also, the inverse operation may not be possible if the matrix is singular or has a zero determinant.