Need Help Recalling The Name Of A Delightful Little Fish Species

• Thread starter BigDon
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's search for a rare fish that they used to own and is now known as the "Scarlet Badis." The fish is a tiny 3/4 inch long soft water fish with a bright red body and vertical stripes. It is a favorite among fishkeepers and has a binomial name of Dario dario. The speaker was able to find it after googling "little red fish" and going through five pages of pictures.
BigDon
I was hoping Mr. Tre or one of you other nice people familiar with fishkeeping could help me.

I was compiling a list of my all time favorite species to keep in the home, defined by me as causing notable involuntary stimulus of the reward centers of my brain, when I drew a complete blank on one of my top five favorites.

It's a tiny 3/4 inch long soft water fish, bright red, with vertical stripes and a body shaped like a short finned anabantid.

It had a double binomial name, (both the same), that began with an "A".

It was a very rare fish and I haven't seen one for sale since the early nineties.

Thank you in advance.

Biology news on Phys.org
?:
killifish?
Cichlid?
Paradise fish?
small-cyprinid?

Thank you Mr. Tre but I found it the hard way.

I googled "little red fish" and waded through five pages of pictures.

They seem to call it the "Scarlet Badis" nowadays. When I had them they didn't have a common name.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https://www.aquariadise.com/scarlet-badis/&psig=AOvVaw1X64U-eYwlLn-7WceeuVKr&ust=1620677284822000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCOCcsqy0vfACFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

I must have had a much more brilliant phenotype, but that's them. And their binomial name is Dario dario. oops.

Likes BillTre

1. What is the scientific name of the delightful little fish species?

The scientific name of the delightful little fish species is Microserranum elongatum.

2. Where is the delightful little fish species commonly found?

The delightful little fish species is commonly found in freshwater bodies such as lakes, rivers, and streams.

3. How big do the delightful little fish species typically grow?

The delightful little fish species typically grows to a maximum length of 2 inches.

4. What is the diet of the delightful little fish species?

The delightful little fish species is an omnivore and feeds on small insects, crustaceans, and plant matter.

5. Is the delightful little fish species endangered?

No, the delightful little fish species is not currently listed as an endangered species. However, habitat destruction and pollution can pose a threat to their population.