Need Help Recalling The Name Of A Delightful Little Fish Species

  • Thread starter Thread starter BigDon
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 1K views
BigDon
Messages
74
Reaction score
97
I was hoping Mr. Tre or one of you other nice people familiar with fishkeeping could help me.

I was compiling a list of my all time favorite species to keep in the home, defined by me as causing notable involuntary stimulus of the reward centers of my brain, when I drew a complete blank on one of my top five favorites.

It's a tiny 3/4 inch long soft water fish, bright red, with vertical stripes and a body shaped like a short finned anabantid.

It had a double binomial name, (both the same), that began with an "A".

It was a very rare fish and I haven't seen one for sale since the early nineties.

Thank you in advance.
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Thank you Mr. Tre but I found it the hard way.

I googled "little red fish" and waded through five pages of pictures.

They seem to call it the "Scarlet Badis" nowadays. When I had them they didn't have a common name.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https://www.aquariadise.com/scarlet-badis/&psig=AOvVaw1X64U-eYwlLn-7WceeuVKr&ust=1620677284822000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCOCcsqy0vfACFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

I must have had a much more brilliant phenotype, but that's them. And their binomial name is Dario dario. oops.