Need help with Orca, gaussian, gamess.

• Thread starter mukuruku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gaussian
In summary, Orca, Gaussian, and GAMESS are all quantum chemistry software packages used for computational chemistry calculations. They are based on density functional theory (DFT) and ab initio methods, and are known for their accuracy and versatility in handling various chemical systems. To use these programs, one must have a basic understanding of quantum chemistry and may need to obtain a license. Other alternatives to these programs include NWChem, MOLPRO, and Q-Chem, each with their own strengths and limitations.
mukuruku
hey can anyone give me some literature on how work with those programs (Orca, gaussian, gamess) ? I need to do optimization on large quantum system with those programs but at my university i can not find any literature.

Computer science news on Phys.org

1. What is Orca?

Orca is a quantum chemistry software package used for calculating electronic structures and properties of molecules and solids. It is based on density functional theory (DFT) and is considered to be one of the most accurate and efficient quantum chemistry programs available.

2. What is Gaussian?

Gaussian is a popular software package used for computational chemistry calculations. It is also based on DFT and is known for its high accuracy in calculating molecular structures, energies, and properties.

3. What is GAMESS?

GAMESS (General Atomic and Molecular Electronic Structure System) is a quantum chemistry software package that is widely used in both academia and industry. It is based on ab initio methods and is known for its versatility in handling a variety of chemical systems.

4. How can I use Orca, Gaussian, and GAMESS for my research?

To use these software packages, you will need to have a basic understanding of quantum chemistry and computational methods. You can start by reading the user manuals and tutorials provided by the developers, or take courses on computational chemistry. Additionally, you may need to obtain a license to use these programs.

5. Are there any alternatives to Orca, Gaussian, and GAMESS?

Yes, there are other quantum chemistry software packages available, such as NWChem, MOLPRO, and Q-Chem. Each program has its own strengths and limitations, so it is important to choose the one that best suits your research needs.