Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need logical explanation for strange event

1. Jun 9, 2012 #1
    I was making a sandwich at my kitchen counter, when my knife block fell over on its side with a loud bang. The block weighed 5 lbs and was 3' away from me with nothing near it and nothing connecting the knife block with anything I was touching. It was under cabinets in the "L" of the counter so nothing could have fallen on it and could not have been touched by an elbow or any part of my body without some contortion on my part.

I tried to knock it over and found I had to give it a hard push for that to happen. There was no earthquake activity (I checked), no glasses or china rattled in the cabinets above me.

I am at a complete loss to explain this. I've been thinking about it since it happened and really need some type of explanation. Nothing bumped it, nothing was near it, nothing fell on it and the only person and activitiy going on it the kitchen was me quietly making a sandwich three feet away.

Thanks for any ideas.

B.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2012 #2
    Freaky! I have no idea.

4. Jun 9, 2012 #3
    Paranormal Activity 4.

Get out while you can.

/thread

5. Jun 10, 2012 #4
    Maybe it was already carelessly slightly tipped onto the edge when you last placed it there, didn't realize it, and finally it slipped enough to fall over?

6. Jun 11, 2012 #5
    Did you use a knife from the knife block to make the sammich?

7. Jun 11, 2012 #6

IMP

Had you just pulled a knife out of the block in preparation for sandwich making? Do you have any pets?

8. Jun 11, 2012 #7
    quantum fluctuation.

9. Jun 11, 2012 #8
    A) Kitchen ghost. Quite common.
    I had whispering ghosts in one of my closets when I moved in. It stopped after a few months.

B) you have telekinetic powers that you are unaware of or dont control, much like Jean Grey. Very cool. This hasn't happened to me yet but hope springs eternal.

C) Quantum fluctuations. Never in the history of man have they been observed on this scale but you might have gotten astronomically lucky.

10. Jun 11, 2012 #9
    If it was a ghost I guess its good that they couldnt figure out a way to get the knife out and do anything sinister with it, so you shouldn't worry, it's still probably only a category 1 free floating repeater, and worst it will do is slime you....

Ok seriously, no idea but thank's for the interesting question.

11. Jun 11, 2012 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I've had bizarre/unexplainable things happen. After a time, some explanations came up that were feasable, some still not. But of course I don't know every possible thing that could have happened.

12. Jun 11, 2012 #11
    Hey OP, I have no idea what you're trying to describe. Care to make a sketch?

13. Jun 12, 2012 #12
    The (KGB, FBI, CIA, MIB, or whoever) think that you know the true facts about (Area 51, The Kennedy Assassination, Who built the pyramids) and have installed all sorts of gadgets in your home to produce paranormal effects. The plan is, as they activate more and more of them, as you post stranger and stranger tales on PF; people will think that you are paranoid so that when you tell the truth nobody will believe you. Your best plan is to go and live in a hut in the woods, and WATCH OUT FOR BLACK HELICOPTORS.

14. Jun 12, 2012 #13
    Picture of the block, the cabinet and whole system?

15. Jun 12, 2012 #14

Dotini

Gold Member

By any chance are you a teenager? Have you experienced any other loud bangs or odd happenings?

Respectfully,
    Steve

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook