Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need reliable resources on basic astronomy and quantum physics

1. Sep 11, 2015 #1
    I've been relying on Wikipedia and some other questionable sources for a basic understanding of these studies, and i don't think I should rely fully on these sources. If anyone can point me to a place that is reliable I would greatly appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Textbooks.

4. Sep 11, 2015 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

5. Sep 11, 2015 #4

Astronuc

What is your starting point? What is one's background/experience in mathematics and physics?

The basics would be algebra and mechanics (statics and dynamics), and eventually one needs calculus.

6. Sep 14, 2015 #5
    Since I'm a freshman in high school, I'm pretty much looking for the basic theories and I'd sort out the equations later once I advance in mathematics.

7. Sep 14, 2015 #6
    Also, I'm looking for reliable sites. I can go to the library anytime I want to but I have to pay late fees. So I'm just looking for sites right now until I get enough money to pay my late fees.

8. Sep 17, 2015 #7

mfb

2016 Award

The theories are mathematics. You'll never understand (or even come up) with any theory without the mathematics.
    A long text about whatever is not a theory. Theories have to predict measurements, which means they have to provide a way to calculate the results of experiments.

9. Sep 18, 2015 #8
    The way I advance in understanding is this, once I learn the theory, I go to learn the complex math behind it, once I do that, I can figure out a theory with a similar basis to such mathematics, kinda like my alternate space time theory. Just to be clear, my alternate space time theory has nothing to do with another universe. But I'm getting off track. The thing is, I just need sources to understand theories I come across. I'm already talking to my sister about helping me with calculus and advanced mathematics, I will take some time, but meanwhile, I want sources so I can continue my research on multiple areas of physics. Does that even make sense?

10. Sep 18, 2015 #9

mfb

2016 Award

Textbooks, see above.

11. Sep 25, 2015 #10
    Look man if you haven't learned high school calculus (among other things) yet it's impossible to do any research. It's kind of like trying to write an english poem without knowing any english.

12. Sep 28, 2015 #11
    That is not entirely true. True, I will not understand the advanced equations but I do understand the concepts. What I do with the parts I don't understand is file them into a category and work towards a point in which I understand it. All I need are theories not completely composed of equations. But I completely agree with what you're saying. I have just found a way to adapt until I get to that point.

13. Sep 28, 2015 #12

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If you're not understanding the advanced equations then you're not understanding the concepts. Sorry.

14. Sep 28, 2015 #13

Evo

I stuck a fork in it, this thread is done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook