Need resources for self study of tensor analysis and other Physics topics

MatinSAR
Hello.
I'm currently trying to learn tensor analysis using MATHEMATICAL METHODS FOR PHYSICISTS(By Arfken) but I cannot understand this book well.
Is there any other book (same level as Arfken) to learn about tensor analysis as a beginner?

Is there anyway that I find out wchich books are suggusted by top universities for BS physics?
My problem is that I cannot learn by listening in class so I need to read myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are the usual suspects of course:
Arfken
Boas
Riley, Hobson, Bence

They will all be pretty similar in level and approach but I guess somewhat complementary.

Then I of course have to mention my own book in any thread like this. I did try for a somewhat different approach so there’s that. Maybe another point of view helps.

Finally, you may be helped by a dedicated book on tensor analysis. There are a lot of them out there.

Likes berkeman and MatinSAR
Orodruin said:
Then I of course have to mention my own book in any thread like this. I did try for a somewhat different approach so there’s that. Maybe another point of view helps.
I'm sure it's a good choice according to what I've read here: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/the-birth-of-a-textbook/
But I couldn't find a tranlation of your book(Sadly I can't learn in English.) And I cannot buy directly from Amazon because paypal and ... doesn't have service here.

Orodruin said:
There are the usual suspects of course:
Arfken
Boas
Riley, Hobson, Bence
Thanks. I hope I will find them in my language ...

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Orodruin said:
hen I of course have to mention my own book in any thread like this. I did try for a somewhat different approach so there’s that. Maybe another point of view helps.
Wow! I think I've found your book in an online shop in my country ... But again sadly it is in english and I'm sure that online shop doesn't have the premission to publish your book ...
1705357806023.png

This is the book that I've founded on the online shop ...

You might want to check out general relativity books. Many of them have a chapter on tensors.

Likes MatinSAR
MatinSAR said:
I'm sure it's a good choice according to what I've read here: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/the-birth-of-a-textbook/
But I couldn't find a tranlation of your book(Sadly I can't learn in English.) And I cannot buy directly from Amazon because paypal and ... doesn't have service here.

Thanks. I hope I will find them in my language ...
Discarding English as a learning language will of course significantly decrease the availability of many books. Unless books are extremely successful and your language is a major one, there will simply not be enough market for a translation.

MatinSAR said:
Wow! I think I've found your book in an online shop in my country ... But again sadly it is in english and I'm sure that online shop doesn't have the premission to publish your book ...
View attachment 338651
This is the book that I've founded on the online shop ...
That’s the one. As also seen on my avatar.

It is published by CRC press but can of course be sold by other vendors as well.

Likes MatinSAR
MatinSAR said:
I can't learn in English
As mentioned, that will be limiting.
You might tell us what your language is, so we don't have to guess.

Likes MatinSAR
Frabjous said:
You might want to check out general relativity books. Many of them have a chapter on tensors.
Thanks! I will.
Orodruin said:
Discarding English as a learning language will of course significantly decrease the availability of many books. Unless books are extremely successful and your language is a major one, there will simply not be enough market for a translation.
Yes. Sadly.
I think I should try reading English versions as soon as possible. Thanks for your time.
Vanadium 50 said:
As mentioned, that will be limiting.
You might tell us what your language is, so we don't have to guess.
Persian. But It won't help you to suggest a book. Because no one translates English to Persian except iranian professors. My only chance is to search and find popular books. Then I should try to find a translation or try to use english version which is really hard ...

MatinSAR said:
I think I should try reading English versions as soon as possible.
I don't know if it helps, but there are some language translation apps that may help you as you learn more English and read textbooks. I've had good luck with the cellphone app "Lens", but I've only used it for simple text translations (from Chinese to English). The nice thing is that you can hover your cellphone camera over the text and get a full in-place translation within a few seconds. I have not tried reading a textbook with it yet, though.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.translator.lens.android&hl=en_US&gl=US

Likes MatinSAR
This is unfortunate - there is not so much available in Farsi translation, for various reasons.

Likes MatinSAR
MatinSAR said:
try to use english version which is really hard ...
I disagree. To read Shakespeare in English might be hard. To read mathematics and physics textbooks, is not. I know - English is my third language.

• Informative
Likes MatinSAR and berkeman
berkeman said:
I have not tried reading a textbook with it yet, though.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.translator.lens.android&hl=en_US&gl=US
Of course it helps ...
Thank you. I will try it.
Vanadium 50 said:
This is unfortunate - there is not so much available in Farsi translation, for various reasons.
Yes.
Hill said:
I disagree. To read Shakespeare in English might be hard. To read mathematics and physics textbooks, is not. I know - English is my third language.
Good point of view... Thanks. I think this is a good chance for me to start reading English versions. Thank you to everyone for his help and time.

Likes berkeman and Hill