Deriving relativistic kinetic energy from relativistic momentum

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
6 replies · 3K views
mcastillo356
Gold Member
Messages
666
Reaction score
365
TL;DR
I don't understand how Tipler/Mosca famous book accomplishes Relativistic Energy
As in classic mechanics, we will define kinetic energy as the work done by the net force in accelerating a particle from rest to some final velocity ##u_f##. Considering one dimension only, we have

$$K=\displaystyle\int_{u=0}^{u=u_f}F_{net}\,ds=\displaystyle\int_{u=0}^{u-u_f}\cfrac{dp}{dt}\,ds=\displaystyle\int_{u=0}^{u-u_f}u\,dp=\displaystyle\int_{u=0}^{u-u_f}u\,d\Bigg (\cfrac{mu}{\sqrt{1-(u^2/c^2)}}\Bigg )\qquad{39-21}$$

where we have used ##u=ds/dt##. It is left as a problem for you to show that

$$d\Bigg (\cfrac{mu}{\sqrt{1-(u^2/c^2)}}\Bigg )=m\Bigg (1-\cfrac{u^2}{c^2}\Bigg )^{-3/2}\,u\,du$$

(I needed a quick browsing to understand it)

$$K=\displaystyle\int_{u=0}^{u=u_f}u\,d\Bigg (\cfrac{mu}{\sqrt{1-(u^2/c^2)}}\Bigg )=\displaystyle\int_0^{u_f}m\Bigg (1-\cfrac{u^2}{c^2}\Bigg )^{-3/2}\,u\,du$$

$$=mc^2\Bigg (\cfrac{1}{\sqrt{1-(u^2/c^2)}}-1\Bigg )$$

This last step is what I don't understand.

Attempt

$$(1-u^2/c^2)=t\Rightarrow{dt=-2u/c^2}$$

But it doesn't work: I can't get rid of ##u##. I neither know how to deal with ##c##

$$K=\cfrac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1-(u^2/c^2)}}-mc^2\qquad{39-22}$$

REST ENERGY

$$E_0=mc^2\qquad{39-23}$$

RELATIVISTIC ENERGY

$$E=K+mc^2=\cfrac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1-(u^2/c^2)}}\qquad{39-24}$$
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mcastillo356 said:
$$\displaystyle\int_0^{u_f}m\Bigg (1-\cfrac{u^2}{c^2}\Bigg )^{-3/2}\,u\,du$$
I think this is the integral you are attempting to compute. If so, I'd do it by inspection. For any integrand with a ##1/f^n(x)## it's worth asking if ##1/f^{n+1}(x)## might be the solution and seeing if the rest of the integrand turns out to be ##f'(x)##.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dextercioby, SiennaTheGr8, PeroK and 1 other person
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: robphy, dextercioby and mcastillo356
mcastillo356 said:
$$K=\displaystyle\int_{u=0}^{u=u_f}u\,d\Bigg (\cfrac{mu}{\sqrt{1-(u^2/c^2)}}\Bigg )=\displaystyle\int_0^{u_f}m\Bigg (1-\cfrac{u^2}{c^2}\Bigg )^{-3/2}\,u\,du$$

$$=mc^2\Bigg (\cfrac{1}{\sqrt{1-(u^2/c^2)}}-1\Bigg )$$

This last step is what I don't understand.
An integral is an antiderivative. The only thing you need to check is that:
$$mc^2\frac d {du} \bigg (\cfrac{1}{\sqrt{1-(u^2/c^2)}}\Bigg ) = m\Bigg (1-\cfrac{u^2}{c^2}\Bigg )^{-3/2}\,u$$You should never be confused by an integral like that. All you need to do is check by differentiation.

That said, you might ask how you find that antiderivative? I think substitution is a clumsy way to do it, because you should be able to see that:
$$\frac d {du}\bigg((1 - au^2)^{-\frac 1 2}\bigg) = -\frac 1 2(1 - au^2)^{-\frac 3 2}(-2au) = au(1 - au^2)^{-\frac 3 2} $$And, that derivative is something that you should be familiar with by now. You should be able to write that down with minimal calculation.

Note that the author probably assumes you have the prerequisite calculus knowledge, and are not going to be stumped by something that you should already know.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dextercioby and mcastillo356
$$\displaystyle\int_0^{u_f}m\Bigg (1-\cfrac{u^2}{c^2}\Bigg )^{-3/2}\,u\,du=m\displaystyle\int_0^{u_f}\Bigg (1-\cfrac{u^2}{c^2}\Bigg )^{-3/2}\,u\,du$$

$$1-\cfrac{u^2}{c^2}=t\Rightarrow{-\cfrac{2u}{c^2}}\,du=dt\Rightarrow{u\,du=-\cfrac{c^2}{2}\,dt}$$

$$m\Big (-\frac{c^2}{2}\Big )\displaystyle\int_0^{u_f}\Bigg (1-\cfrac{u^2}{c^2}\Bigg )^{-3/2}\,dt$$

$$-m\cfrac{c^2}{2}\displaystyle\int_0^{u_f}t^{-3/2}\,dt=-m\frac{c^2}{2}\cdot\cfrac{t^{-1/2}}{-1/2}\Bigg |_0^{u_f}$$

$$mc^2\Bigg (\cfrac{1}{\sqrt{1-\cfrac{u_f^2}{c^2}}}-1\Bigg )$$
 
Last step is this way

$$mc^2t^{-1/2}\bigg |_{1}^{1-\frac{u_f^2}{c^2}}=mc^2\left (\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-u_f^2/c^2}}-1\right )$$