Relativistic Energy: Change of Consts. of Integration

In summary: It's always nice to see different approaches to the same problem.In summary, in this short video of the derivation of relativistic kinetic energy, a mistake is made where the constant of integration changes from 0 to pv instead of v. A suggested alternate derivation is also provided by using the work-energy theorem and changing variables to find the correct result of mc^2 * Δγ for the integral of force over displacement.
SamRoss
Gold Member
In this super short video of the derivation of the relativistic kinetic energy, , I'm just stuck on one thing. Around 1:00 minute in, the constants of integration change from 0 to pv when the integration changes from dx to dv. Where does the pv come from? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
SamRoss said:
In this super short video of the derivation of the relativistic kinetic energy, , I'm just stuck on one thing. Around 1:00 minute in, the constants of integration change from 0 to pv when the integration changes from dx to dv. Where does the pv come from? Thanks!

Looks like a mistake to me. Should be v (he annotates a correction to that effect at the 3:00 mark, but as far as I can tell it should come sooner).

Also, try this derivation out for size. Note: an overdot indicates a derivative taken with respect to ##ct## (not ##t##).

##\vec{\beta} = \vec v / c##
##\gamma = (1 - \beta^2)^{-1/2}##
##\phi = \tanh^{-1}{\beta}## (giving ##\cosh{\phi} = \gamma## and ##\sinh{\phi} = \gamma \beta## by hyperbolic identities)
##\vec p = \gamma m \vec v##
##\vec f = \dot{\vec p} c = \dfrac{d\vec p c}{d(ct)} = mc^2 \dfrac{d}{d(ct)} (\gamma \vec{\beta}) = mc^2 \dfrac{d}{d(ct)} (\hat{\beta} \sinh{\phi})##.

Now do the work–energy thing:

##\begin{split}
\int^{\vec r_f}_{\vec r_i} \vec f \cdot d \vec r &= mc^2 \int^{\vec r_f}_{\vec r_i} \dfrac{d}{d(ct)} (\hat{\beta} \sinh{\phi}) \cdot d \vec r \\[3pt]
&= mc^2 \int^{\vec r_f}_{\vec r_i} \left( \hat{\beta} \dot{\phi} \cosh{\phi} + \dot{\hat{\beta}} \sinh{\phi} \right) \cdot d \vec r \\[3pt]
&= mc^2 \int^{\vec r_f}_{\vec r_i} \left( \hat{\beta} \cdot d \vec r \right) \cosh{\phi} \, \dfrac{d \phi}{d (ct)}
\end{split}##

(because ##d \vec r## and ##\dot{\hat{\beta}}## are orthogonal). Then change variable using ##d \vec r / d(ct) = \vec \beta = \hat{\beta} \tanh{\phi}##:

##\begin{split}
\int^{\vec r_f}_{\vec r_i} \vec f \cdot d \vec r &= mc^2 \int^{\phi_f}_{\phi_i} \left( \hat{\beta} \cdot \hat{\beta} \right) \tanh{\phi} \, \cosh{\phi} \; d \phi \\[3pt]
&=mc^2 \int^{\phi_f}_{\phi_i} \sinh{\phi} \; d \phi \\[3pt]
&= mc^2 \, \Delta \cosh{\phi} \\[3pt]
&= mc^2 \Delta \gamma ,
\end{split}##

etc.

SiennaTheGr8 said:
Looks like a mistake to me. Should be v (he annotates a correction to that effect at the 3:00 mark, but as far as I can tell it should come sooner).
Thanks. That's a load off my mind. And thanks for the alternate derivation as well.

What is Relativistic Energy?

Relativistic energy is a concept in physics that takes into account the effects of special relativity on the energy of a system. It is based on Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2, which shows that energy and mass are equivalent and can be converted into each other.

How does Relativistic Energy differ from Classical Energy?

In classical physics, energy is defined as the ability to do work. However, in relativistic energy, the kinetic energy of an object increases as it approaches the speed of light, and at the speed of light, it becomes infinite. This is not accounted for in classical energy calculations.

What is the Change of Constants of Integration in Relativistic Energy?

The change of constants of integration refers to the fact that in relativistic energy calculations, the constants used in classical physics, such as mass and velocity, need to be adjusted to account for the effects of special relativity. This is necessary to accurately calculate the energy of a system.

What are some examples of Relativistic Energy?

Some examples of relativistic energy include nuclear reactions, such as those that occur in nuclear power plants or in the sun. In these reactions, mass is converted into energy, and the resulting energy is much greater than what would be predicted using classical energy calculations.

Why is Relativistic Energy important?

Relativistic energy is important because it allows us to accurately describe and understand the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, such as particles in accelerators or objects in space. It also plays a crucial role in many modern technologies, such as nuclear power and medical imaging.