Negate "f has limit L at c": f does not have limit L at c

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter soulflyfgm
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Convergent Sequence
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
soulflyfgm
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
I found this in another threat
however i do not know wat he means by convergent sequences. Is something like when u trying to take the limit at an ASYMPTOTE of a fuction? i know that the limit doesn't not exist( or goes to infinitive i cannot recall) is that wat he means by convergent sequence?

Let f:I->R and let c in I. I want to negate the statements: "f has limit L at c" and "f is continuous at c". Are these correct?

f does not have limit L at c if there exists e>0 such that for some sequence {x_n} converging to c, |f(x_n)-L|>e for every n.

f is not continuous at c if there exists e>0 such that for some sequence {x_n} converging to c, |f(x_n)-f(c)|>e for every n.

edit: also, what is the negation of "f has a limit at c"?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
the negation of "f has a limit at c" is "f does not have a limit at c". (meaning there is no L such that blah blah)

for the one about the sequence f is not continuous at c if for some x in I, [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c}f(x) \neq f(c)[/tex]. that is... well you know the definition of limit, & if not it's in your book. of course if there's one x where f isn't continuous then if isn't continuous on the domain.
 
Last edited: