Do Nematodes Effectively Control Fleas in Yards?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Control
In summary, there are mixed opinions on the effectiveness of using nematodes to control fleas in yards. While some studies suggest they can be effective in reducing flea populations, others raise concerns about potential unintended consequences and the need for specific soil conditions. Some suggest using a professional exterminator or topical treatments for pets as alternative methods of flea control. Regular grooming and vacuuming can also help remove fleas from pets and their indoor environment.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Has anyone tried using nematodes in their yard to control fleas? I was reading about it here.

http://www.fleabuster.com/Products/Biobusters/nematodes.html

The fleas seem to get worse every summer here and I am investigating every possible weapon I have against them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't tried the worms, but the flea powder works like magic. It's only for indoor use, though.

It may be a waste of money.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig132

These nematodes are applied to the lawn as a spray and destroy the flea larvae (and other insects) by parasitizing them. They do not attack people, pets, or plants. This treatment should reduce flea populations if label directions are carefully followed. In fact, just spraying the yard with water is enough to reduce flea populations! The nematode treatment is probably not needed.

http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/l-1738.html

Several kinds of predatory nematodes (a type of microscopic worm) are sold for outdoor flea control, but their effectiveness has not been well tested. Studies suggest that nematodes work best in sandy soils. Irrigate with 1/4 to 1/2 inch of water before and after application. This prolongs nematode survival and helps them move through the soil in search of flea larvae.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be worried about unintended consequences of infesting your yard with parasitic worms. I'd want to know a lot more about the exact species of nematode and all known species it can parasitize once they're happily reproducing in fleas. I would also have to question how effective it is in really killing fleas. Afterall, the reproductive strategy of parasites usually involves keeping their hosts alive for a while until they can lay eggs and have them pooped out into the ground to be eaten by another host critter (sounds yummy, doesn't it?).

(Edit: Just saw Evo's post that they aren't parasites of fleas, but rather attack flea larvae...but still, how long is it going to take them to hunt down the fleas?)

Have you tried having a professional exterminator treat the yard? That's what my parents had to resort to doing (they live in FL, so similar problems of year-round warm climate to help them breed). You can't have your pets in the yard few a little while after treatment, so they arranged to have it done while they were on vacation.

I also got them some Revolution to spot on their dog while they were visiting (because I didn't want my cat getting fleas from their dog either). The combination seemed to work well of treating the yard and the dog. In your case, treating the cat. I would use Revolution during the heaviest flea season, since it kills eggs on the pet as well as the adult fleas, so you don't have to wait for eggs to hatch and fleas to bite before it works. Then, to prevent resistance to it, switch to the other formulations during the times of year when the fleas are less abundant (if you get that in your climate), like Frontline or Top Spot. Each one works differently. Some kill the fleas on contact, some require the fleas to bite first, and others kill even the eggs on contact.

The only other things to really do are just physical removal of the fleas. Brush and comb the cat as soon as she's comes indoors to remove any hitchhikers before they end up inside. Vacuum the cat's favorite spots often, since that's where the fleas are most likely to be hanging out too.

At least in temperate climates, the fleas go dormant during winter so we get a break from them. Warm climates are really tough for dealing with flea problems.

I am familiar with the use of nematodes for pest control, including for fleas. Nematodes are microscopic worms that are known to prey on fleas and other pests in their larval stage. They are a natural and environmentally friendly alternative to chemical pesticides.

There have been studies and field trials that have shown the effectiveness of nematodes in controlling flea populations. However, it is important to note that nematodes may not completely eliminate the flea problem, but rather help to reduce the population.

It is also important to ensure that the nematodes are properly applied and maintained in the yard, as they are sensitive to factors such as temperature, moisture, and sunlight. Additionally, nematodes may not be effective in areas with heavy foot traffic or where the soil is disturbed frequently.

Overall, using nematodes for flea control can be a promising option, but it is important to carefully follow instructions and consider other methods of flea control as well. Consultation with a pest control professional may also be helpful in determining the best approach for your specific situation.

Related to Do Nematodes Effectively Control Fleas in Yards?

What are nematodes and how do they control fleas?

Nematodes are microscopic worms that are commonly used as a natural method of controlling fleas. They work by infecting and killing flea larvae in the soil before they have a chance to develop into adult fleas.

How do I apply nematodes for flea control?

Nematodes can be applied by mixing them with water and then spraying or pouring the solution onto areas where fleas are present, such as lawns, gardens, and pet bedding. It is important to follow the instructions on the packaging for the correct application method and timing.

Are nematodes safe for pets and humans?

Yes, nematodes are safe for pets and humans. They do not pose a threat to humans, pets, or beneficial insects in the environment. However, it is important to keep pets and children off treated areas until the nematodes have had a chance to do their job.

How long do nematodes take to control fleas?

Nematodes can take anywhere from 2-4 weeks to effectively control fleas. This depends on various factors such as the temperature, humidity, and the severity of the flea infestation. It is important to be patient and follow the recommended application instructions for best results.

Can I use nematodes for flea control indoors?

Nematodes are more effective in outdoor environments where fleas tend to breed. However, they can also be used indoors in infested areas such as basements, garages, and pet areas. It is important to ensure that the indoor environment is moist and suitable for nematode survival.