Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nematodes for flea control

1. Jun 14, 2010 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Has anyone tried using nematodes in their yard to control fleas? I was reading about it here.

http://www.fleabuster.com/Products/Biobusters/nematodes.html [Broken]

The fleas seem to get worse every summer here and I am investigating every possible weapon I have against them.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2010 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't tried the worms, but the flea powder works like magic. It's only for indoor use, though.

4. Jun 14, 2010 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It may be a waste of money.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig132 [Broken]

http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/l-1738.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Jun 14, 2010 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd be worried about unintended consequences of infesting your yard with parasitic worms. I'd want to know a lot more about the exact species of nematode and all known species it can parasitize once they're happily reproducing in fleas. I would also have to question how effective it is in really killing fleas. Afterall, the reproductive strategy of parasites usually involves keeping their hosts alive for a while until they can lay eggs and have them pooped out into the ground to be eaten by another host critter (sounds yummy, doesn't it?).

(Edit: Just saw Evo's post that they aren't parasites of fleas, but rather attack flea larvae...but still, how long is it going to take them to hunt down the fleas?)

Have you tried having a professional exterminator treat the yard? That's what my parents had to resort to doing (they live in FL, so similar problems of year-round warm climate to help them breed). You can't have your pets in the yard few a little while after treatment, so they arranged to have it done while they were on vacation.

I also got them some Revolution to spot on their dog while they were visiting (because I didn't want my cat getting fleas from their dog either). The combination seemed to work well of treating the yard and the dog. In your case, treating the cat. I would use Revolution during the heaviest flea season, since it kills eggs on the pet as well as the adult fleas, so you don't have to wait for eggs to hatch and fleas to bite before it works. Then, to prevent resistance to it, switch to the other formulations during the times of year when the fleas are less abundant (if you get that in your climate), like Frontline or Top Spot. Each one works differently. Some kill the fleas on contact, some require the fleas to bite first, and others kill even the eggs on contact.

The only other things to really do are just physical removal of the fleas. Brush and comb the cat as soon as she's comes indoors to remove any hitchhikers before they end up inside. Vacuum the cat's favorite spots often, since that's where the fleas are most likely to be hanging out too.

At least in temperate climates, the fleas go dormant during winter so we get a break from them. Warm climates are really tough for dealing with flea problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook