Netflix series DARK - Taking Sci-Fi Writing to a New Level

In summary, the conversation discussed the TV show "DARK" and its intense atmosphere. The group recommended watching it with English subtitles instead of the dub. They also shared their opinions on each season, with most agreeing that seasons 1 and 2 were better than season 3. However, one person still enjoyed season 3 and suggested it could have benefited from more episodes. Overall, the group rated season 1 a 9.5/10, season 2 a 10/10, and season 3 a 9/10.
FourEyedRaven
Hi.

Any fans of DARK here?

This show was mind blowing. The feel of the show may be to heavy for some, especially in the beginning. So it may not be your style. But if you like that atmosphere, the series is truly amazing. The writing is on a whole new level. If you haven't watched it, I strongly recommend it.

Oh, and it's best to watch it with the english subtitles because the english dub is not good.

Likes member 587159 and etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
I loved seasons 1 and 2, and I am ambivalent about season 3.

I really liked that they treated time travel "correctly," in that there is a single time line and that going back to the past doesn't change the future since it already happened.

Likes etotheipi, member 587159 and BvU
I watched it with the original German audio and English subtitles. I also recommend it. I really liked the atmosphere of the series, but all the different characters can be confusing in the beginning.

Likes FourEyedRaven and etotheipi
DrClaude said:
I loved seasons 1 and 2, and I am ambivalent about season 3.

I really liked that they treated time travel "correctly," in that there is a single time line and that going back to the past doesn't change the future since it already happened.

I really liked S3. But S1 and S2 are better. S3 would benefit from 10 episodes instead of 8. I would rate S1 9.5/10, S2 10/10, and S3 9/10.

Likes member 587159

1. What is the premise of the Netflix series DARK?

The series follows the interconnected lives of four families in the small town of Winden, Germany as they unravel the mysteries surrounding time travel and the disappearance of a young boy.

2. How is DARK different from other sci-fi shows?

DARK sets itself apart by its complex and intricate plot, which involves multiple timelines and characters. It also explores philosophical and existential themes, adding depth to the sci-fi genre.

3. Who are the main characters in DARK?

The main characters include Jonas Kahnwald, a teenager who becomes involved in the time travel mystery; Ulrich Nielsen, a police officer and father of the missing boy; and Charlotte Doppler, a police chief investigating the strange occurrences in Winden.

4. How does DARK incorporate scientific concepts into its storytelling?

The show incorporates concepts from quantum physics, such as the theory of relativity and the concept of the bootstrap paradox, to explain the mechanics of time travel. It also delves into the ethical implications of manipulating time.

5. Is DARK a standalone series or will there be more seasons?

DARK was originally intended to be a limited series with three seasons, but the popularity of the show has led to the possibility of a fourth season. However, the creators have stated that they have told the story they wanted to tell, so it is uncertain if there will be more seasons.