Neutrino Helicity and Spin Uncertainty

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of left-handed neutrinos and the measurement of spin projection onto a specific direction. The participant suggests that measuring spin in a perpendicular direction could change the helicity of the neutrino, but this may not be applicable to relativistic particles.
Coltrane8
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Can I change helicity by measuring Spin in the perpendicular direction of motion, in accordance to commutation rules and uncertainty of Spin operators?
In the context of non relativistic quantum mechanics, or better, if I consider the neutrino's mass to be zero, the phrase

Neutrino are left-handed. Choosing ##\hat{z}## axis as the direction of motion, the spin projection onto that axis is ##- \hbar/2##. In this sense the direction of motion is opposite to spin.
seems to me puzzling. What I know is that if I know the direction of motion, I know the spin projection onto that direction, say ##\hat{z}##-direction. But to not violate Heisenberg's Uncertainty, if I manage to measure Spin in a perpendicular direction of motion, say ##S_x##, now helicity must be undetermined. And to be consistent if I subsequently measure ##S_z## (or helicity), I can have the same or the opposite helicity. So, if a measure change helicity (to not to violates Heisenberg), it would be more precise to talk about left-handed neutrinos only in the context of some interaction, without excluding a priori that I can change it's helicity by an accurate measurement of Spin on the perpendicular direction of motion?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You may get a more expert answer, but I don't think you can apply the ##S_x## operator to a relativistic particle and hope to get eigenstates of the Dirac spinor.

Likes Coltrane8

1. What is neutrino helicity?

Neutrino helicity refers to the direction of the spin of a neutrino, which can either be left-handed or right-handed. This is a fundamental property of neutrinos and is related to their intrinsic angular momentum.

2. How is neutrino helicity measured?

Neutrino helicity cannot be measured directly, as it is a quantum mechanical property. However, it can be inferred from the direction of the neutrino's momentum, which can be measured in experiments such as beta decay.

3. What is the uncertainty in neutrino spin?

The uncertainty in neutrino spin refers to the fact that the spin of a neutrino cannot be precisely determined at any given moment. This is due to the inherent uncertainty in quantum mechanics, where the exact position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously.

4. Why is neutrino helicity important?

Neutrino helicity is important because it is a fundamental property of neutrinos that affects their interactions with other particles. It also plays a role in the conservation of angular momentum in certain processes, such as beta decay.

5. Can neutrino helicity change?

Yes, neutrino helicity can change through interactions with other particles. For example, a left-handed neutrino can interact with a W boson to become a right-handed neutrino. However, this change in helicity is not instantaneous and is subject to the laws of quantum mechanics.