Neutron Decay Outside of a Nucleus Near Absolute Zero

In summary, neutron decay outside of the nucleus occurs at the same speed when the environment is near absolute zero. However, at a certain temperature, hadrons undergo a cross-over transition to a quark-gluon plasma, where neutrons and other hadrons do not exist as separate entities. The speed of neutron decay may also be affected by external factors, such as the quantum Zeno effect, which has been demonstrated with atoms but not necessarily with free neutrons.
Chris Nimmons
Does neutron decay outside of the nucleus occur faster, slower, or at the same speed when the environment it is in is near absolute zero? Do any external factors affect the speed of a neutron decaying?

Likes DennisN
Physics news on Phys.org
Same speed.

Likes Chris Nimmons
Depends on the temperature. At ##k_{\text{B}} T \simeq 160 \; \text{MeV}## all hadrons undergo a cross-over transition to a strongly interacting quark-gluon plasma (at ##mu_{\text{B}}=0##). Then parton-like quasiparticles become the relevant degrees of freedom, and no neutrons nor other hadrons exist (except in terms of resonance-like correlations).

Chris Nimmons said:
Does neutron decay outside of the nucleus occur faster, slower, or at the same speed when the environment it is in is near absolute zero?
I think that is a good and interesting question which I personally haven't thought about before.

Chris Nimmons said:
Do any external factors affect the speed of a neutron decaying?
I have a slight recollection of that the decay can be temporarily halted in some way, but I don't know at the moment if I remember correctly. I will look around on the net for it, and I'll be back...

Edit:

It was the quantum Zeno effect I was thinking about, which has been demonstrated for atoms;

Fischer, Gutiérrez-Medina, Raizen, "Observation of the Quantum Zeno and Anti-Zeno Effects in an Unstable System" (Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 040402 – Published 10 July 2001)
PRL: http://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.87.040402
Arxiv: http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0104035

I don't remember at the moment if it can be done or has been demonstrated with free neutrons.

Last edited:
Likes Chris Nimmons

1. What is neutron decay outside of a nucleus near absolute zero?

Neutron decay refers to the process in which a neutron, one of the subatomic particles found in the nucleus of an atom, transforms into a proton, an electron, and a neutrino. This process occurs when a neutron is outside of a nucleus, meaning it is not bound to other particles, and is in an environment with a temperature close to absolute zero, which is -273.15 degrees Celsius.

2. Why does neutron decay occur outside of a nucleus near absolute zero?

Neutron decay is a rare event that is governed by the laws of quantum mechanics. At absolute zero, the energy of the neutron is at its lowest, making it easier for the decay process to occur. Additionally, the lack of thermal energy means there is less chance of the neutron interacting with other particles, allowing it to decay without interference.

3. What is the significance of studying neutron decay outside of a nucleus near absolute zero?

Studying neutron decay at low temperatures provides valuable insight into the fundamental properties of subatomic particles and the laws of physics that govern them. It also has practical applications in fields such as nuclear physics and astrophysics, where understanding the behavior of neutrons is crucial.

4. How is neutron decay outside of a nucleus near absolute zero studied?

Scientists use specialized equipment, such as particle accelerators and detectors, to create and observe neutrons in a controlled environment near absolute zero. They also use mathematical models and simulations to better understand the underlying principles of neutron decay.

5. What are the potential implications of neutron decay outside of a nucleus near absolute zero?

The study of neutron decay has the potential to lead to new discoveries and advancements in various fields, including nuclear energy, particle physics, and cosmology. It may also provide insights into the behavior of matter in extreme environments, such as in the early universe or in neutron stars.