New AHA Guidelines - Hands-Only CPR for laypeople

• Medical
  • Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
In summary, the American Heart Association has released new guidelines for "hands-only" CPR, which recommends that laypeople perform the procedure if they are unable or unwilling to provide rescue breaths. This initiative is meant to help save more lives, and instructors can view the instructor Web cast and download the tools they'll need to incorporate the technique into their classes.
berkeman
Mentor
New AHA Guidelines -- Hands-Only CPR for laypeople

I'd heard that this might be coming, and now the American Heart Association has made the official announcement:

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3011764

AHA said:
CPR and Emergency Cardiovascular Care

Hands-Only CPR: An initiative that can help save more lives

On March 31, an important advisory statement on “hands-only” (compression-only) CPR was published in Circulation. This statement clarifies the 2005 AHA Guidelines for CPR and ECC, which included the recommendation that laypersons – or bystanders – should perform hands-only CPR if they are unable or unwilling to provide rescue breaths.

What is hands-only CPR and what does it mean for you? Visit our Hands-Only CPR Consumer Web Site to find out more about this lifesaving initiative.

If you are an AHA instructor or Training Center, visit the Instructor Network to view the instructor Web cast and download the tools you’ll need to incorporate Hands-Only CPR into your classes.

Seems like a good move to encourage more laypeople to get involved. I'm still going to be bagging anybody I do CPR on, but not many people carry a BVM in their vehicle (or are trained on how to use it).

Biology news on Phys.org
I've been hearing about that too.

I think it bears pointing out that this is not meant to replace CPR as many of us learned it, but rather to provide simple instruction to the untrained when there is nobody with training available to assist, or when someone is concerned about the risk of mouth-to-mouth contact. The other key point this campaign is trying to get across is that many untrained bystanders who attempt to assist with CPR do not push hard enough to give effective compressions, so they should not be afraid to push as hard as they can.

so they should not be afraid to push as hard as they can

A fractured rib is better than brain death - except in states without Good Samaritan Laws.

1. What are the new AHA guidelines for Hands-Only CPR?

The new AHA guidelines recommend that laypeople should perform Hands-Only CPR, which involves providing chest compressions without mouth-to-mouth ventilation, in case of cardiac arrest.

2. Why did the AHA change the guidelines for CPR?

The AHA changed the guidelines for CPR to make it more accessible and less intimidating for laypeople to perform. Hands-Only CPR is easier to learn and remember, and it has been found to be just as effective as traditional CPR with mouth-to-mouth breathing.

3. Who should perform Hands-Only CPR?

Anyone who witnesses a person collapsing from cardiac arrest should perform Hands-Only CPR, regardless of whether they have been trained or not. It is a simple and effective way to keep blood flowing to the brain and other vital organs until professional help arrives.

4. How do I perform Hands-Only CPR?

To perform Hands-Only CPR, place the heel of one hand on the center of the person's chest, and place the other hand on top. Push hard and fast, at a rate of 100-120 compressions per minute, until help arrives. It is important to continue compressions without stopping until professional help takes over.

5. Are there any risks associated with performing Hands-Only CPR?

There are no significant risks associated with performing Hands-Only CPR. It is a safe and effective way to provide immediate assistance to someone experiencing cardiac arrest. If you are unsure or uncomfortable performing Hands-Only CPR, call 911 and follow the instructions of the emergency operator.