New Avatar Requirements for Our Members

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
What are the specifications or requirements for our selecting a new avatar?

Physics news on Phys.org
symbolipoint said:
I don't think we have many requirements. Please no animations (too distracting), and no profanity or symbology that could be offensive to regular users. Common sense, mostly.

Likes sysprog
berkeman said:
I don't think we have many requirements. Please no animations (too distracting), and no profanity or symbology that could be offensive to regular users. Common sense, mostly.
What file format or file extension acceptable? What file or pixel size acceptable or needed?

Hmm, good question. I'm guessing JPEG format, and any high-resolution images will be downsized by the app that makes the avatar.

I just tried to change my avatar. I see there's a note that says it recommends "at least 400x400" but doesn't specify a maximum size (I guess it'll downsample anything too huge, though), and the file upload dialog seems to permit gif, jpeg and png.

• Informative
Likes sysprog, symbolipoint, Oldman too and 1 other person
I should ask @Greg Bernhardt to deprecate the GIF option, unless there's been a change in policy. The last 5-ish animated avatars that I know of were dealt with by the Mentors politely asking the user to change to a non-animated avatar. Nobody never tells me nuthin'...

Likes Wrichik Basu, symbolipoint and Oldman too
@symbolipoint, I think that 'they' (the Mentors/Moderators) can decide on a basis of common sense and published rules first, then case by case ##-## and don't we all pretty much already know what's clearly unacceptable and what's nearly unassailable ##-## in the middle ground, we can have and express opinions, e.g. I dislike the identificational icons being called avatars, because it seems to me like an endorsement of a religio-cultural motif, but the promulgation of personal opinions is almost entirely not within the mission of the Physics Forums.

sysprog said:
@symbolipoint, I think that 'they' (the Mentors/Moderators) can decide on a basis of common sense and published rules first, then case by case ##-## and don't we all pretty much already know what's clearly unacceptable and what's nearly unassailable ##-## in the middle ground, we can have and express opinions, e.g. I dislike the identificational icons being called avatars, because it seems to me like an endorsement of a religio-cultural motif, but the promulgation of personal opinions is almost entirely not within the mission of the Physics Forums.
I do not know what all that is. I wanted to know what file type or extension are allowed and what the pixel size or file size allowed are. Member @Ibex gave most of the answer.

Likes sysprog
symbolipoint said:
I do not know what all that is. I wanted to know what file type or extension are allowed and what the pixel size or file size allowed are. Member @Ibex gave most of the answer.
Thanks for the narrowing-down clarification ##-##
symbolipoint said:
This, your opening post, seemed to me to be broader in scope of inquiry than which filetype and filesize were allowed ##\dots##

Likes Tom.G
All of the info you seek is available when you try changing your avatar.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes berkeman

What are the new avatar requirements for our members?

The new avatar requirements for our members include a clear and appropriate profile picture that represents their identity in a professional manner. This can be a headshot, company logo, or any other image that is not offensive or inappropriate.

Why are we implementing new avatar requirements for our members?

We are implementing new avatar requirements for our members to maintain a professional and respectful community. A clear and appropriate avatar can help build credibility and trust among members.

What happens if a member does not comply with the new avatar requirements?

If a member does not comply with the new avatar requirements, they will receive a notification and will be asked to update their avatar. If they fail to do so, their account may be subject to suspension or removal from the community.

Can members use cartoon or animated avatars?

No, cartoon or animated avatars are not allowed as they do not represent a professional image. Members are encouraged to use a clear and appropriate photo or logo as their avatar.

Are there any exceptions to the new avatar requirements?

There may be exceptions for members who have privacy concerns or special circumstances that prevent them from using a clear photo or logo as their avatar. In such cases, they can contact the community administrator to discuss alternative options.