New Da-Vinci-Code-movie puzzle, by Google

In summary: I think I'll just finish the last one and see if I get a cryptex. Thanks for the summary.In summary, the Google webquest "The Da Vinci Code Quest" rewards participants for solving 24 puzzles. The final challenge will involve opening a cryptex. If participants finish all 24 puzzles, they will be contacted and given instructions on how to participate in the final challenge. There are also special offers and discounts available to participants.
Mk
Back in college, I had this idea of an Internet-based puzzle extravaganza. It would have one thousand puzzles of various types, more than anyone could ever expect to solve in the time limit provided. It was all going to tie into a central theme and an intricate story.

I got to about two hundred before I got exhausted (in both senses of the word).

Almost a decade later, that dream has come true: a small group of us at Google, in cooperation with Sony Pictures, have managed to create 12,358 original puzzles for The Da Vinci Code Quest on Google.

That's right, 12,358 (I'd make a joke about Fibonacci numbers, but that would be too obvious), all designed to honor both a fanatical puzzler’s sheer love of a mental challenge and the labyrinthine spirit of The Da Vinci Code itself. They'll be released over the next 24 days, in the form of six different challenges at four difficulty levels, with enough variety that I think everyone will be able to find something they like and play it over and over—although if you're in the U.S., you'll want to try to complete all 24 and make it to the Final Challenge, where I hear there's a pretty nice prize package awaiting the winner.

I'm rather pleased with how this project fulfilled my youthful dream, and very proud of how well our team's creative synergies were able to mesh with the world of The Da Vinci Code, the cinematic version of which will premiere just as the Quest wraps up. Yes, we'll have to turn the puzzles off then -- after all, how else are we going to get you all offline to join the rest of us in the multiplexes?

Good luck, and more importantly, have fun!

According to Google, the puzzles require skill, intellect, and perseverance. Google promises that should anyone answer all 24 puzzles correctly, they will have a chance of winning "untold riches." (oooh) The Google webquests run over a span of 24 days ending May 11th 2006. One new puzzle of the 24 are released everyday. There are 12 out to date.

Well, who has been doing it? It is great fun! I just finished the 12th a few minutes ago. I hope I get untold riches.

The prizes: http://flash.sonypictures.com/movies/davincicodequest/us/prizing/index.html

:biggrin: Happy hunting!

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh I forgot, you probably want to know where to start. Well, go to

http://google.com/ig

and sign in, then add the Da Vinci Code panel. If you don't have a google account, PM me and I'll give you one. Because I'm good like that.

Like the puzzles in the book, these are almost interesting. But I'm solving them anyway. I already have untold wealth. At least no one told me about it.

Well, its a lot of fun! I like it. Good. Yum.

I finished all the puzzles. I don't know yet if I won anything.

how do we know if we're a finalist?

yomamma said:
how do we know if we're a finalist?
Funny you should ask just as I found out the answer. I got this e-mail (actually two copies from two sources).

email said:
Thank you for participating in "The Da Vinci Code" Quest on Google.

This email is to confirm that you have completed all 24 puzzles within the quest and successfully registered for a chance to participate in the final challenge. Well done!

We will be contacting the 10,000 finalists on Monday 5/15 via email regarding their cryptex shipment. Within that email the 10,000 finalists will also receive instructions on how to participate in the final challenge.

All remaining players who finished the quest will also receive a surprise message via email.

Thank you all for participating in "The Da Vinci Code" Quest on Google and making it such a success. We hope you enjoyed playing.

w00t! just 8.5 hours till I find out if I'm a finalist...

and if I'm not, I'm stealing one of your guys' cryptecies

game sponsor said:
Though others have finished before you, your skill and perseverance will be rewarded! Click here to watch a congratulatory message from Sir Ian McKellen and a sneak peek of The Da Vinci Code and then continue on to view special offers and discounts from our Quest partners.

Thank you for playing the Da Vinci Code Quest on Google.
So sad. The consolation message above implies that there was a time issue. I don't remember reading about that in the contest rules and if I had known, I would have been more careful about the matter. Oh well.

it said the "first 10,000 people"..

And I didn't make it, so I'm stealing one of your guys' cryptecies

yomamma said:
cryptecies
wikipedia said:
Following the model of "codex" which pluralises as "codices", "cryptex" might be thought to pluralise as "cryptices". However, Brown uses the plural form "cryptexes" in his novel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptex
Steal away.

Fine...Cryptexes

Damnit, I didn't make it either. Too bad, I hope somebody wins though. :smile:

1. What is the "New Da-Vinci-Code-movie puzzle" by Google?

The "New Da-Vinci-Code-movie puzzle" is a puzzle created by Google to promote the release of the movie "The Da Vinci Code". It is a series of clues and codes that need to be solved in order to reveal a hidden message.

2. How do I access the "New Da-Vinci-Code-movie puzzle"?

The puzzle can be accessed by searching "Da Vinci Code" on Google or by visiting the official website for the movie.

3. Is the "New Da-Vinci-Code-movie puzzle" difficult to solve?

The difficulty of the puzzle varies depending on the individual's problem-solving skills and knowledge of codes and ciphers. However, Google has provided hints and clues to help players along the way.

4. Are there any prizes for completing the "New Da-Vinci-Code-movie puzzle"?

While there are no official prizes for completing the puzzle, some players have reported receiving small rewards, such as Google merchandise, for being one of the first to solve the puzzle.

5. Can I play the "New Da-Vinci-Code-movie puzzle" with a group?

Yes, the puzzle can be played individually or with a group. However, only one person can submit the final answer for the prize.