Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New-fangled outboard fuel line interlocks

1. Jul 30, 2010 #1

Gold Member

I've been to Crappy Tire and I've been to Fogh Marine and I ;'ve looked online at Bass Pro. All they have are these new-fangled plastic fuel line/tank interlocks:
    [PLAIN]http://imageserv8.team-logic.com/store-logic/products/5/8680/st_8776.jpg [Broken]

Mine looks like this:
    [PLAIN]http://imageserv8.team-logic.com/store-logic/products/5/8674/st_8770.jpg [Broken]

I can't find a gas tank that uses the two-prong interlock.

And I need it by tomorrow or my sailing trip is off.

Online ordering won't do. Need a store in GTA, Canada.

I'm beginning to worry if it's obsolete...
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

No boat shops at the marina?
  4. Jul 30, 2010 #3
    Auto parts places, maybe? I'm guessing that, if you tried the Great White North Tire Store you've also called Home Depot, Revy et al.

I hope you find something. It'd suck huge for your boat trip to be cancelled. Report back.
  5. Jul 30, 2010 #4

The one on my 04 Crestliner with a Mercury engine uses one similiar to yours. The tanks are usually generic with a threaded hole for the gas line attachment.

Mine is exactly like the one in the picture.

Bass Pro has one lsited that looks like yours. Their online catalog is sometime like a maze. I usually try a first google for the part directly. Ironically I googled Walmart boat gas tanks and came up with the Bass pro google add.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  6. Jul 30, 2010 #5

Gold Member

Hm. Yeah. I guess you're right. The connector is attached to a gas cap, which should fit any tank. Thanks.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  7. Jul 30, 2010 #6

Gold Member

I just came back from an outboard engine service place.

The connector discrepancies are not 'old' versus 'new', they are unique to the brand of motor.

My motor, and thus my connector, is an Evinrude.

New gas tank in-hand. I am ready for my trip.
  8. Aug 3, 2010 #7

Gold Member

Well that's just spiffy.

My $#!!&#!@# motor just caused me to ram the boat in the next berth. And I don't mean just a glancing blow...

Lucky there was no damage.
  9. Aug 3, 2010 #8
    I'm going to assume and hope that no one was injured?
  10. Aug 3, 2010 #9

Gold Member

No one on board next door. We were more rattled and embarrassed.

!#&#$& motor operates at only 2 speeds: full or dead. We were too close to get up a head of speed, which was the saving grace.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook