New goldilocks planet and if there is water on it?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mat1101
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Planet Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
mat1101
Messages
42
Reaction score
1
Is there any new on the new goldilocks planet and if there is water on it?
also what website is good for following this data
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org


mat1101 said:
Is there any new on the new goldilocks planet and if there is water on it?
also what website is good for following this data

Last I heard, another group (analyzing an even larger body of wobble data) was unable to confirm.
So it is not clear that there is such a planet. The 36-day wobble they thought they saw could have been spurious (noise).

====================

I am just responding based on what I remember reading sometime in the past month or so. I think you are talking about a planet around Gliese 581. We could google "Gliese 581 g" an see if there is any recent news.

I googled and found this Wippy article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gliese_581_g

It has been kept up to date. It tells how the other group failed to confirm the existence of Gliese 581 g.

It also explains the latest thinking about temperature and atmosphere---how, if the planet exists, and has the estimated mass and distance from its star, it might be able to support living organisms.

======================

Gliese 581 has 4 confirmed planets: b, c, d, e.

And 2 (so far) unconfirmed planets: f, g.
 
Last edited:


I think that so called goldilocks planet is not very promising.

How can they say, for instance, that it is tidally locked and yet a good candidate for life? Nonsense. Any tidally locked planet is a hopeless cause for complex life - the atmosphere would be almost nonexistent.
 


http://exoplanet.eu/" is an excellent resource for all aspects of this topic.
 
Last edited by a moderator: