Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Goldilocks Enigma by PCW Davies

1. Feb 21, 2006 #1

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

PCW Davies has a fun paper out called

the paper cites a new book in the works by Davies

Davies, P.C.W. (2006) The Goldilocks Enigma (Allen Lane, London), in the press.

if you want something to illustrate the "goldilocks" idea, think of any kind of "fine-tuning", for instance of the cosmological constant.
    why are some physical parameters neither to large or too small, but "just right"?

Goldilocks Enigma is a catchy, also a good, title----and judging from the short WHAT EXISTS paper, Davies thinks clearly and comprehensively. I guess I should also say independently---he examines common assumptions critically and forms his own ideas. So the book could become widely read and have some impact on current discussions.

The What Exists paper has already gotten a bit of attention. I flagged it around 5:30 PM pacific yesterday (half hour after it posted on arxiv) and today Christine noted it on her blog. Also today she wrote about it at Peter's blog and he acknowledged. Haven't seen any other comment but there could well be more coming.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

I suspect some of the constants we currently regard as fundamental are not truly fundamental, and some of the apparent fine tuning is merely a mathematical artifact arising from different ways of expressing the same underlying principles. It is, however, difficult to resist the suspicion that all the truly fundamental constants are relational and self tuning is a natural consequence.
  4. Feb 22, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, that's some of what Davies says in his "What Is" paper. He offers the idea that the undetermined parameters in the Standard Model are not expressions of deeper physics but just "frozen accidents", results of some twiddle or other when the particles were condensing after the big bang.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?