New regulations on maritime emissions

• Thread starter Dedale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Emissions
In summary, there are plans to regulate carbon dioxide emissions from ships at sea for the first time, with a goal of reducing emissions by half by 2050. However, there are concerns about the feasibility of this plan, as current alternatives such as natural gas may not be enough to achieve the desired reduction. Additionally, there are questions about which types of ships will be included in the regulation and how the infrastructure for fueling will be updated.
Dedale
I stumbled on a recent article on the guardian newspaper: https://www.theguardian.com/environ...m-ships-at-sea-to-be-regulated-for-first-time

I was wondering if that was realistic or just some sort of public relation stint. The regulation set a distant future date tu curb commercial ship's emissions by half. 2050

How would you do that ?

I heard about experiments with big kites or rotorships to reduce fuel consumption. But the savings were modest. Gas turbines would displace the pollution problem since natural gas extraction can pollute a lot. For example trough leaks of methane.

Nuclear ships are heavily boycotted. The nucleophobe movement does not seem to do a pause. I am aware of only one nuclear cargo and a few icebreakers in service.

Likes Evanish
Engineering news on Phys.org
Dedale said:
I was wondering if that was realistic or just some sort of public relation stint.
As a general rule, I consider any plan that excludes nuclear power to be unserious. Considering that shipping (per the link) is only 2% of CO2 emissions, I consider discussion of it to be essentially pointless. CO2 emissions are still being driven primarily by the same economics and politics that has always driven them; very little due to concerted CO2 reduction effort.

Case in point; the US is one of the world leaders in CO2 reduction, despite not ratifying any of the treaties. How? It happened primarily on it's own, because natural gas got cheap.
The regulation set a distant future date tu curb commercial ship's emissions by half. 2050

How would you do that ?
Gas turbines would displace the pollution problem since natural gas extraction can pollute a lot. For example trough leaks of methane...
I don't know if that last bit is true or not (I suspect not), but regardless, natural gas only emits about 25% less CO2 than diesel, so it can't get us to a 50% reduction (unlike replacing coal, where it gets you close).

Likes Evanish
Reducing overall emissions of NOx, SOx, and particulates might be feasible. Sounds like they are not regulated now, so probably some low hanging fruit. But a 50 % reduction in carbon requires a large efficiency improvement, and that sounds tough.

Likes russ_watters
So is that a reduction for international shipping, excluding coastal maritime, inland river and lake barges and the like.?
Fishing boats?
Yachts?
Pleasure boats?
Cruise ships?

If bunker oil is to be phased out for tankers and container vessels, then the port infrastructure for fueling needs a complete overhaul.
Wonder how that is going to work out in 30 years.

What are the new regulations on maritime emissions?

The new regulations on maritime emissions refer to the International Maritime Organization's (IMO) decision to implement stricter limits on sulfur emissions from ships. This means that all vessels must use fuel with a lower sulfur content to reduce air pollution and its impact on the environment and human health.

Why were these new regulations implemented?

The new regulations were implemented to address the significant contribution of shipping to air pollution and climate change. Ships emit sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides, and particulate matter, which can have detrimental effects on human health and the environment. By reducing these emissions, the IMO aims to improve air quality and mitigate the effects of climate change.

When will the new regulations take effect?

The new regulations on maritime emissions took effect on January 1, 2020. This date was set by the IMO in 2016 to allow shipping companies and fuel suppliers enough time to prepare and comply with the new rules.

What are the consequences for not complying with the new regulations?

Ships that do not comply with the new regulations may face penalties and fines from port authorities. In addition, non-compliant ships may also be detained or denied entry to certain ports. It is the responsibility of ship owners and operators to ensure that their vessels meet the new emission standards.

How will these new regulations impact the shipping industry?

The new regulations are expected to have a significant impact on the shipping industry. Shipping companies will need to invest in new technologies and cleaner fuels to comply with the emission limits. This could lead to higher costs for consumers and potentially disrupt supply chains. However, it is also an opportunity for the industry to adopt more sustainable practices and contribute to global efforts to combat climate change.

Back