Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New Samson & Delilah set in modern Gaza

1. May 6, 2009 #1
    Nowhere near this, but it looks it sounds dramatic...

In Belgium, Samson Gets a Makeover
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/07/arts/music/07abroad.html?hp

The Shostakovich reference, for those who aren't familiar with his (brilliant) music, is about his artistic subversion of Stalin in his (often satirically dark) music. He was alternately both glorified and banned by the Soviets, who didn't get it! Very much a mixer of politics and music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmitri_Shostakovich

Photo of the directors:

http://www.vlaamseopera.be/en/persondocumentdetail.orb?doc=6412&pgclr=armygreen# [Broken]

http://www.vlaamseopera.be/en/persondocumentdetail.orb?doc=6412&pgclr=armygreen# [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You haven't quoted anything from that link, so let's get a flavour of the Flanders Opera’s general director's attitude to anti-semitism from this extract …
    The general director has decided to take a classical work by Shostakovich and change it so as to give an excuse for showing Israeli soldiers humiliating Palestinians and repeatedly shooting a Palestinian child, and then dancing "orgiastically with their phallic rifles". :frown:

And for his finale he suggested that Jews should leave Belgium.​

Anti-semitism is alive and well, and living in Flemish Opera. :smile:

4. May 7, 2009 #3
    Saint-Saens, not Shostakovich. Shostakovich is brought up by the NYT writers as a similar instance of art mixing with politics.

5. May 7, 2009 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unlikely, don't you think, considering he is a Jew himself? Perhaps, he only suggested that those that can't handle the heat might want to step outside the kitchen.

6. May 7, 2009 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Unlikely, but it happened. :frown:
    whatever do you mean by that? that somehow Jews are doing something unnecessary just by living in Belgium? :confused:

erm :redface: … let's not depart from reality …

he actually suggested:
    (this was in reply to a comment that:
    so clearly "here" means Antwerp or Belgium generally)

7. May 7, 2009 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, it didn't. He did not make an absolute statement; he made a conditional statement (not one I agree with either). The fact that he hasn't left means he doesn't believe the condition (namely that things are really "so" precarious) has been met.

Moreover, we are working from something that's a recollection rather than a direct quote. And the person doing the recalling is also presumably Jewish.

What I meant by that can have nothing to do with my opinion, since I was merely attempting to interpret Cahn's opinion.

8. May 7, 2009 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes … he made a conditional statement which he knew many Jews in the audience believed is true …
    … he was suggesting that the Jews before him, and any other Jews in Antwerp who agreed with them, should leave. :frown:
    It's a "recollection" by a professional New York Times journalist, who presumably made notes either at the time or shortly afterwards, and who had attended with the specific intention of writing up the event. That's actually pretty reliable.

(for his last 1702 NYT articles, see http://topics.nytimes.com/top/refer...k/michael_kimmelman/index.html?inline=nyt-per)
    uhh? they're your words, not his

if you were attempting to interpret Cahn's opinion, what did you mean by your words? :mad:

that Cahn thought that somehow Jews are doing something unnecessary just by living in Belgium?​

9. May 7, 2009 #8

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're talking about the "precarious" remark? Your interpretation is overblown. You can fairly criticize him for being dismissive in his remark, and if your description of the play is accurate you can criticize that,* but that's not *nearly* the same as suggesting that the "Jews should leave Belgium". It wasn't until I read Gokul43201's post that I considered you might be referring to that! I thought you meant that, separately, he had remarked that Jews should leave Belgium (which as far as I know hasn't happened).

* Actually I'm rather confused by this. If the play is as you describe (I wouldn't know, I haven't seen it), why would you remark on a relatively innocuous remark rather than the play itself? That sounds very bad.

10. May 7, 2009 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

uhh? :confused: The NYT journalist remarked on both the remark and the play itself

(as I made clear …
    )

… how is that not remarking on the play itself? :confused:
    the "precarious" quotation was …
    how is that not suggesting that they should leave Belgium (or Antwerp)? :frown:

11. May 7, 2009 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, for one thing, you have no idea what the "so" in "so precarious" refers to, so all this speculation about a Jew telling Jews to leave the place that he's not leaving is just that - speculation.

12. May 8, 2009 #11

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

leaving Belgium

I'm not following you :confused:

the "so" clearly refers to the http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/07/arts/music/07abroad.html?_r=1&hp" (my bold) …
    where's the speculation?

the Flanders Opera’s general director (a Swiss) is aware that the person he's speaking to believes that anti-semitism festers just below the surface in Belgium (or maybe just Antwerp),

and when challenged that he (the general director) is making it worse, suggests that Jews who don't like it should leave. :frown:

how is that not suggesting that they should leave Belgium (or Antwerp)? :confused:

Anti-semitism is alive and well, and living in Flemish Opera. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  13. May 8, 2009 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: leaving Belgium

Fill in the blanks:

If you think the situation is so precarious that _ _ _ _ _ _ _ , then perhaps the Jews ought to leave.

Really, isn't this going overboard analyzing the recollection of a Jewish reporter who essentially admits the director deserved to have his lights punched out?

Oh, and one more little thing...
    He never said anything about restricting the leaving to "Jews who don't like it" (whatever the "it" is).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook