Newbie Schrodinger equation question

In summary, the conversation is about the discovery and study of Schrodinger's equation in one dimension. The question is about the meaning of the Greek letter attached to psi in the equation and it is explained that it represents partial derivatives. The person is advised to start with a calculus textbook before studying the Schrodinger equation.
SteveM19
I discovered physics at a later age and am trying to learn more about Schrodinger's equation, here it is in one dimension -- got to crawl before you walk, I guess -- http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/SchroedingerEquation.html == my question is the variable that is multiplied by i x h bar -- I do not know what the meaning is of the greek letter attached to psi in the numerator and t in the denominator. Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Those specify partial derivatives. It's the derivative of Psi with respect to 1 particular variable (holding other variables constant).

Roger -- thks much --

If you don't know that, then you probably need to start over with a calculus textbook, work your way up to differential equations, and then try looking at the Schrodinger equation.

1. What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a quantum system evolves over time.

2. What is a "newbie" Schrodinger equation question?

A "newbie" Schrodinger equation question refers to a question about the Schrodinger equation that is typically asked by someone who is new to the field of quantum mechanics.

3. How is the Schrodinger equation used in science?

The Schrodinger equation is used to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems, such as atoms and molecules. It is also used in fields like quantum chemistry and condensed matter physics.

4. Is the Schrodinger equation difficult to understand?

The Schrodinger equation can be difficult to understand at first, as it involves complex mathematical concepts and is based on the principles of quantum mechanics. However, with study and practice, it can be understood by anyone with a basic understanding of mathematics and physics.

5. Can the Schrodinger equation be solved exactly?

In most cases, the Schrodinger equation cannot be solved exactly, as it involves complex mathematical equations that cannot be solved analytically. Instead, approximations and numerical methods are used to solve the equation and make predictions about quantum systems.