Newtonian Mechanics - the movement of a particles

I've used v_0 to represent the initial velocity, and t_0 to represent the initial time. You should be able to integrate this, and "solve" for v. You should get a formula that looks like:v=v_0*some expressionThen you can set some expression equal to zero to find when the particle stops.
bobey
(Moderator's note: thread moved from "Differential Equations")

A particle of mass m which moves along a horizontal straight line with a velocity of v encounters a resistance of av + b(v^3), where a and b are constants. If there is no other force beside the resistance acting on the particle and its initial velocity is U , show that the particle will stop after it has moved a distance of m(ab)^(-1/2)tan^(-1)(U(b/a)^1/2). Also show that the velocity is 1/2U after time (m/2a)ln(4a+b(U^2))/(a+b(U^2)))

to show the distance when the particle stops :

i use :

F = ma

=> m (dv/dt) = - (av+b(v^3))

i let v = y and t = x to make it less confusion ...(1)

thus m(dy/dx) = -(ay+b(y^3))

dy/dx = -(ay/m)-(b(y^3)/m)

dy/dx + (a/m)y = -(b/m)(y^2) ... (2)

(y^-3)(dy/dx) + (a/m)(y^-2) = (-b/m) ===> this is Bernoulli equation

let v = (y^-2)

thus, dv/dx = -2(y^-3) (dy/dx)

=> -1/2(dv/dx) + (a/m)v= -b/m

searching for integrating factor, miu(x) = exp(integrating(a/m)dx)

thus, miu (x) = exp(ax/m)

miu(x) x (2) : d/dx (exp(ax/m).v) = exp(ax/m).(-b/m)

exp(ax/m).v = (-b/m) integrating (exp(ax/m) dx)

v = (-b/a) + c(exp-(ax/m))

but v = (y^-2) = (v^-2)

thus,

v^-2 = (-b/a) + c(exp-(ax/m))

v^2 = (1/c(exp-(ax/m))) - (a/b)

v = sqrt ((1/c(exp-(ax/m))) - (a/b))

applying initial condition where v_0 = u, x=0, t=0

c = 1/u^2 + b/a

thus v = dx/dt = sqrt ((1/(1/u^2 + b/a)) - a/b)

when particle stop dx/dt = 0

then

0 = sqrt ((1/(1/u^2 + b/a)) - a/b)
x = m/a ln |(1/ab)+1|

why i can't get the answer given which is m(ab)^(-1/2)tan^(-1)(U(b/a)^1/2)??

where I'm going wrong?

please help me!

p/s : i don't know to use SYNTAX. sorry =p

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
bobey said:
(
i use :

F = ma

=> m (dv/dt) = - (av+b(v^3))

i let v = y and t = x to make it less confusion ...(1)

But this makes things more confusing, as does your unnecessary use of integrating factors and Bernoulli's equation. In fact, it's such confusing notation, that I can't be bothered to try and go through it and see where you are going wrong.

For example, here:

let v = (y^-2)

You are essentially defining [itex]v=\frac{1}{v^2}[/itex]...recycling variables like this (using [itex]v[/itex] to represent more than one quantity) leads to confusion, and may have lead to your error(s).

Instead, just realize that your original ODE is separable:

[tex]m\frac{dv}{dt}=-(av+bv^3)\implies -m \int_{v_0}^{v} \frac{dv'}{av'+b(v')^3}=\int_{t_0}^{t} dt=t-t_0[/tex]

What is Newtonian Mechanics?

Newtonian Mechanics, also known as classical mechanics, is a branch of physics that studies the movement and interactions of particles and systems of particles. It is based on the laws of motion and gravity developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

What are the three laws of motion in Newtonian Mechanics?

The three laws of motion in Newtonian Mechanics are:

1. An object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an external force.
  2. The force acting on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration (F = ma).
  3. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

What is the difference between mass and weight in Newtonian Mechanics?

Mass is a measure of an object's inertia, or resistance to change in motion. It is a constant property of an object and is measured in kilograms. Weight, on the other hand, is a measure of the force of gravity on an object and varies depending on the object's location. It is measured in newtons.

What is the concept of acceleration in Newtonian Mechanics?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It can be caused by a net force acting on the object, and its direction is in the same direction as the net force. The equation for acceleration is a = Δv/Δt, where a is acceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time.

Can Newtonian Mechanics be applied to all types of motion?

No, Newtonian Mechanics is only applicable to macroscopic objects and systems. It does not hold true for objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light or for objects at the atomic or subatomic level, where quantum mechanics is required to accurately describe their movement.