Nick Bostrom's Simulation Hypothesis

• Thread starter wheelersbit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simulation
In summary, researchers at the University of Washington have proposed a test to determine if we are living in a computer simulation. This would involve using supercomputers to simulate small portions of the universe using lattice quantum chromodynamics, a technique commonly used in simulations of complex theories. The article does not state that QCD would be the basis for the simulation, but rather uses it as an example of how simulations are currently done. The test would involve looking for the effects of a theory being put on a lattice, and does not necessarily require a lattice structure in all simulations."
wheelersbit
The article can be found here: http://www.washington.edu/news/2012...lation-uw-researchers-say-idea-can-be-tested/

Here is the actual paper: http://arxiv.org/abs/1210.1847

My question is not about the validity of his premises - because I actually don't believe they logically lead to the proposed conclusion but about the test itself.

"Currently, supercomputers using a technique called lattice quantum chromodynamics and starting from the fundamental physical laws that govern the universe can simulate only a very small portion of the universe, on the scale of one 100-trillionth of a meter, a little larger than the nucleus of an atom, said Martin Savage, a UW physics professor."

My understanding of physics is moderate however not in-depth. This is the general statement on QCD

Lattice QCD is a well-established non-perturbative approach to solving the quantum chromodynamics (QCD) theory of quarks and gluons. It is a lattice gauge theory formulated on a grid or lattice of points in space and time. When the size of the lattice is taken infinitely large and its sites infinitesimally close to each other, the continuum QCD is recovered.[1]

Could someone perhaps explain to me in laymans terms why QCD is being supposed for the simulation engine - is this necessary or contingent?

I find this idea fascinating and I understand the heuristic approach I'm simply trying to fill in the gaps in my understanding. Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
There is nothing stating that QCD would be the basis. QCD is used as an example of how we do computer simulations today to extract information from complex theories. In QCD simulations, the theory is put on a lattice and the article claims that we may be able to see the effects of a theory being put on a lattice if we are part of a simulation.

Orodruin said:
There is nothing stating that QCD would be the basis. QCD is used as an example of how we do computer simulations today to extract information from complex theories. In QCD simulations, the theory is put on a lattice and the article claims that we may be able to see the effects of a theory being put on a lattice if we are part of a simulation.

In all simulations would there necessarily be a lattice?

1. What is Nick Bostrom's Simulation Hypothesis?

Nick Bostrom's Simulation Hypothesis is a theory proposed by philosopher Nick Bostrom that suggests our reality may actually be a computer simulation created by advanced beings. This hypothesis is based on the idea that if it is possible for humans to create realistic simulations, then it is likely that an advanced civilization has already done so.

2. How does the Simulation Hypothesis work?

The Simulation Hypothesis suggests that an advanced civilization, which Bostrom refers to as "posthumans," has the capability to create a computer simulation that is indistinguishable from reality. This simulation would contain conscious beings, including humans, who are unaware that they are living in a simulated reality.

3. What evidence supports the Simulation Hypothesis?

There is currently no concrete evidence to support the Simulation Hypothesis. However, some scientists and philosophers argue that advancements in technology, such as virtual reality and artificial intelligence, make it possible for humans to create realistic simulations. Additionally, there are philosophical arguments that suggest our reality may be a simulation, such as the "simulation argument" proposed by Bostrom.

4. What are the implications of the Simulation Hypothesis?

If the Simulation Hypothesis is true, it would mean that our reality is not the base reality and that we are living in a simulated world created by advanced beings. This would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and our place in it. It could also raise ethical concerns about the treatment of conscious beings within the simulation.

5. Can the Simulation Hypothesis be proven?

It is currently impossible to prove or disprove the Simulation Hypothesis. The only way to potentially prove it would be for the creators of the simulation to reveal themselves to us, which is highly unlikely. However, some scientists are working on experiments and theories that may provide evidence for or against the Simulation Hypothesis in the future.