No critical points for y=(2x+1)/√(x²+1), so how do I find where it increases or decreases?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hurricane3
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivatives Graphs
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Hurricane3
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



y=(2x+1)/[tex]\sqrt{x^2+1}[/tex]

Find where are the asymptotes, where is it increasing increasing/decreasing, ect...

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


when I took the first derivative (im trying to find where it increases/decrease), I got
dy/dx = [tex]\frac{2x^2-x+2}{(x^2+1)\sqrt{x^2+1}}[/tex]

but there isn't any roots for this function... so what does that mean?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No vertical asymptotes as x^2+1 can never be 0.

No horizontal asy as (x^2)^1/2 is one, and 2x is one.

Slant asymptote is synthetic division (x^2+1)^(1/2) |2x+1

If there are no 0's then that means that the equation always increases or decreases.
 
grammar police: Better would be "either always increases or always decreases".


Any graph that does not have a horizontal line segment "always increases or decreases"!