No delete option when replying to HW posts?

• Bug
  • Thread starter strangerep
  • Start date
In summary, this feature is helpful because it allows people to remove their posts without having to go through the hassle of reporting the post for deletion.
strangerep
Science Advisor
I don't see the usual "x delete" symbol when I try to edit my reply to a homework post, but it appears as usual in other forums. Is this intentional? (Sometimes I feel a need to delete my post and start again.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Not a bug: a feature ! But you can always click 'report' and ask a mentor -- they can delete posts.

strangerep said:
I don't see the usual "x delete" symbol when I try to edit my reply to a homework post, but it appears as usual in other forums. Is this intentional? (Sometimes I feel a need to delete my post and start again.)
If you just want to "start again", why not just edit the post? You can wipe out everything that's there and type whatever you want. Of course you DO have to do that within the time limit.

strangerep said:
Is this intentional?
Trying to prevent some students from removing their post after getting a quick response

Greg Bernhardt said:
Trying to prevent some students from removing their post after getting a quick response
Good feature. Yeah, just report your post for Mentor help/editing. Thanks for reporting this, I didn't know about this feature.

phinds said:
If you just want to "start again", why not just edit the post?
There are times, occasionally, where initially I think I can help, but halfway through I realize there's an aspect of the problem I didn't understand well enough. Hence better to vaporize myself completely and let someone else step in.

(@Greg Bernhardt: I agree with the feature of not allowing OP to delete their post, but that's different.)

strangerep said:
Hence better to vaporize myself completely
There's always "on second reading, I realize that there are implications dadada ..."

In such a case I really miss an opportunity to place the thread back in the list of unanswered threads -- It would help the OP and be a signal to other helpers

BvU said:
In such a case I really miss an opportunity to place the thread back in the list of unanswered threads
-> report your post for deletion.

Likes BvU
Turns out I had it [a delete button under my posts] but never knew ...

Now let's see if I can delete this post too ... :-p

And sure enough: there is a delete button and it works ... :woot:

1. Why is there no delete option when replying to HW posts?

The delete option is not available when replying to HW posts because the purpose of HW posts is to provide a platform for students to ask and answer questions related to their homework. Allowing users to delete their posts would disrupt the flow of the conversation and potentially delete important information for others who may be seeking help on the same topic.

2. Can I edit my reply to a HW post instead of deleting it?

Yes, you can edit your reply to a HW post by clicking on the "Edit" button next to your reply. This allows you to make any necessary changes without completely deleting your response.

3. Is there a time limit for editing my reply to a HW post?

Yes, there is a time limit for editing your reply to a HW post. After a certain amount of time, typically 15 minutes, the edit option will no longer be available. This is to prevent users from constantly changing their replies after others have already responded.

4. Can I request for my reply to a HW post to be deleted by a moderator?

No, moderators do not delete individual replies to HW posts. However, if there is a specific reason why your reply needs to be removed, you can flag your own reply or contact a moderator for further assistance.

5. Will the no delete option change in the future?

There are no current plans to change the no delete option for HW posts. However, the website and its features are constantly evolving, so it is possible that there may be changes in the future.