Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bug No delete option when replying to HW posts?

1. Jan 31, 2017 #1

strangerep

Science Advisor

I don't see the usual "x delete" symbol when I try to edit my reply to a homework post, but it appears as usual in other forums. Is this intentional? (Sometimes I feel a need to delete my post and start again.)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not a bug: a feature ! But you can always click 'report' and ask a mentor -- they can delete posts.

4. Jan 31, 2017 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

If you just want to "start again", why not just edit the post? You can wipe out everything that's there and type whatever you want. Of course you DO have to do that within the time limit.

5. Jan 31, 2017 #4
    Trying to prevent some students from removing their post after getting a quick response

6. Jan 31, 2017 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Good feature. Yeah, just report your post for Mentor help/editing. Thanks for reporting this, I didn't know about this feature.

7. Feb 1, 2017 #6

strangerep

Science Advisor

There are times, occasionally, where initially I think I can help, but halfway through I realize there's an aspect of the problem I didn't understand well enough. Hence better to vaporize myself completely and let someone else step in.

(@Greg Bernhardt: I agree with the feature of not allowing OP to delete their post, but that's different.)

8. Feb 1, 2017 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There's always "on second reading, I realize that there are implications dadada ..."

In such a case I really miss an opportunity to place the thread back in the list of unanswered threads -- It would help the OP and be a signal to other helpers

9. Feb 1, 2017 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

-> report your post for deletion.

10. Feb 1, 2017 #9

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Turns out I had it [a delete button under my posts] but never knew ....

Now let's see if I can delete this post too .... :-p

And sure enough: there is a delete button and it works ... :woot:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted