1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

No of C=C bond in carbonyl compound

1. Aug 30, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Compound X has the following composition by mass : carbon(64.3%) , 7.1% of hydrogen and oxygen (28.6%) . X reduces Fehling's solution to CuO . Copper( I) oxide .0.1 mol of X react with 4480cm3 of hydrogen gas in the presence of nickel catalyst. What 's the possible structural formula of X ?
    there are 2 choices ..
    CH2=CH-CHO
    CH3-CH=CH-CH=CH-COH

THE ANS IS CH2=CH-CHO ...Why ? can anyone explain on this? thanks in advance!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    mol of hydrogen gas = 4480/22400= 0.2 mol

if there's only one C=C bond , then 1 mol of X react with 1 mol of H2 gas ..

But 0.1 mol of X react with 0.2 mol H2 gas , so there are 2 C=C bond in X .... my choice would be CH3-CH=CH-CH=CH-COH ...
    but the correct ans is CH2=CH-CHO

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No idea about everything else, but of the two compounds given only one fits.

4. Aug 31, 2014 #3
    so which one is correct?

5. Aug 31, 2014 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Have you tried to find the experimental formula from the numbers given? Or even simpler - have you tried to find the percent elemental compositions from the given formulae?

6. Aug 31, 2014 #5
    i got ratio of ratio of C:H:O = 3:4:1
    using precentage

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted