No Tolerance for Use of "Noob" on PF

  • Topic: Complaint 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Helios
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
22 replies · 3K views
Helios
Messages
267
Reaction score
63
When it occurs, any fellow should be advised not to refer to new members as "noobs" or "noobies" because of the offense that could be taken. Noob is ( or seems like ) a portmanteau of "new boob" and is derogatory and insulting enough to make a new member feel he is being attacked or demeaned. I don't think PF should tolerate this.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a joke? Noob is an alternate spelling of newb, as in, a new person. It's not exactly a compliment, but I'd hardly consider it derogatory.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Merlin3189, Thewindyfan and nsaspook
In the year or so I've been following this site I have never seen anyone referred to as a "noob".
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Thewindyfan, Hornbein and axmls
It is slang and it sounds demeaning. I would be offended.
 
Helios said:
It is slang and it sounds demeaning. I would be offended.
Fair enough. Link to a thread where that term is used.
 
Haha, if you search "noob" a lot of the results are self-referential.
 
I'd have to pull out my calculator to determine how far of a stretch you need to make to interpret phinds's comment as offensive.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Thewindyfan, russ_watters, nsaspook and 1 other person
Helios said:
When it occurs, any fellow should be advised not to refer to new members as "noobs" or "noobies" because of the offense that could be taken. Noob is ( or seems like ) a portmanteau of "new boob" and is derogatory and insulting enough to make a new member feel he is being attacked or demeaned. I don't think PF should tolerate this.
You are mistaken. As already mentioned, "noob" (or "newb") is just short for "newbie." It is NOT a portmanteau word made up of "new" and "boob."

I don't have an exact count, but I'd be willing to bet that 98% of the usage on this site is new members describing themselves.

We already have a rule about hostile language that is vigorously enforced. I see no reason for us to outlaw the use of "noob" just on its own.
language and Attitude:
Foul or hostile language will not be tolerated on Physics Forums. This includes profanity, obscenity, or obvious indecent language; direct personal attacks or insults; snide remarks or phrases that appear to be an attempt to "put down" another member; and other indirect attacks on a member's character or motives.

Please treat all members with respect, even if you do not agree with them. If you feel that you have been attacked, and the moderators or mentors have not yet gotten around to doing something about it, please report it using the "Report" button. If you choose to post a response, address only the substantive content, constructively, and ignore any personal remarks.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Merlin3189 and Silicon Waffle
Helios said:
It is slang and it sounds demeaning. I would be offended.

well a high % if the time it is the actual OP that is referring to themselves as a noob and NOT the responders
and I would bet that the majority of the times that the responder has said such, it's only because the OP as already referred himself to that anyway

Dave
 
OK. I stand corrected. Let's rest the issue. People call themselves "nerds" but it's not cool to call others that. Slang that ends with "B" is usually not good. I'm old and not privy to the new generation lingo.
 
Helios said:
Slang that ends with "B" is usually not good.

This sounds remarkably arbitrary.
 
Helios said:
In fact, you used it, Phinds
I most certainly did NOT. Pay attention to what is said. I said "noobie", which is just short for newcomer and could hardly be misconstrued to have any connotation of "boob". Every forum I've ever been on used the term for newcomer, that and "newbie"
 
Helios said:
OK. I stand corrected. Let's rest the issue. People call themselves "nerds" but it's not cool to call others that.
I had a girlfriend who referred to me as "my nerd". I even had a t-shirt. Past high school, it ceases to be an insult because you start to realize that even as an intended insult it is really an expression of envy.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OCR and Silicon Waffle
Krylov said:
Why don't we use "boon" instead?
Is this another joke? If so, I don't get it. If you're serious, then my response is ... uh, because it doesn't mean anything and no one would have any idea what is intended?
 
I reserve the right to call phinds a "new boob" whenever I want to! Those silicon implants look very good!

Zz.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Stephanus and StevieTNZ
ZapperZ said:
I reserve the right to call phinds a "new boob" whenever I want to! Those silicon implants look very good!

Zz.
?
 
Hum... did my attempt at humor completely fall flat?

Zz.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Stephanus, OCR and russ_watters
phinds said:
Is this another joke? If so, I don't get it. If you're serious, then my response is ... uh, because it doesn't mean anything and no one would have any idea what is intended?
It's the reverse of "noob", see http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/boon
 
Last edited by a moderator:
ZapperZ said:
Hum... did my attempt at humor completely fall flat?

Zz.
Well, it went straight past me. I have no idea what you were talking about. What am I missing? I mean, I understand a correlation between silicon implants and the word boob for sure, but I don't get how it has the slightest reference to me.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Stephanus
Krylov said:
It's the reverse of "noob", see http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/boon
Yes, I could see that in the first place. So, it was an attempt at humor. It fell flat.
 
Last edited by a moderator: