Nolting quantum mechnaics textbook

In summary, the conversation discusses the Nolting undergraduate physics series, specifically the two books on quantum mechanics. The series has now been translated to English and the second volume is highly praised. However, there were previously some errors and confusion in the series, particularly in the volume on electrodynamics, but it seems to have improved in recent years.
Ahmed1029
I'm curious what you guys think of the Nolting undergraduate physics series, particularly his 2 books on quantum mechanics? Are they sufficient? Are there any errors in them?

Likes Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
Have they been translated to English? I have not seen anything negative about them, except being relatively unknown outside Germany.

Likes vanhees71 and Ahmed1029
dextercioby said:
Have they been translated to English? I have not seen anything negative about them, except being relatively unknown outside Germany.
Yes! All the nine volume are now available in English. I'm currently reading his second volume and I think it's terrific; I'm just making sure there isn't any scientific error in any of them, being relatively unknown as you said.

Likes vanhees71 and dextercioby
I've not looked into them for more than 20 years. When I was a student and also a teaching assistant, I didn't like them too much. Particularly the volume about electrodynamics was a bit confusing for me as well as the students in my tutorials in its very sloppy use of the Dirac-##\delta## distribution. Since they seem to be pretty popular among the students also today, I guess, they are better now.

Likes Demystifier and Ahmed1029

1. What is the Nolting quantum mechanics textbook about?

The Nolting quantum mechanics textbook is a comprehensive guide to the fundamental principles and applications of quantum mechanics. It covers topics such as wave mechanics, quantum states, operators, and perturbation theory.

2. Is the Nolting quantum mechanics textbook suitable for beginners?

Yes, the Nolting quantum mechanics textbook is suitable for beginners as it provides a clear and concise introduction to the subject. It also includes numerous examples and exercises to help readers understand the concepts.

3. How does the Nolting quantum mechanics textbook differ from other textbooks on the same subject?

The Nolting quantum mechanics textbook stands out for its comprehensive coverage of both theoretical concepts and practical applications. It also includes modern developments and recent research in the field, making it a valuable resource for both students and researchers.

4. Are there any prerequisites for understanding the Nolting quantum mechanics textbook?

A basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra is recommended for readers to fully grasp the concepts presented in the Nolting quantum mechanics textbook. Familiarity with classical mechanics and electromagnetism may also be helpful.

5. Is the Nolting quantum mechanics textbook used in universities or research institutions?

Yes, the Nolting quantum mechanics textbook is widely used in universities and research institutions as a primary or supplementary text for courses in quantum mechanics. It is also a popular reference for researchers in the field.