Non-conductive liquid that won't dissolve salts or mix with water?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brad_Ad23
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Liquid
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Brad_Ad23
Messages
497
Reaction score
1
Does anyone know of any type of liquid that will not dissolve any type of salt (or anything in salt water for example), and is not able to mix with water, that is also non-conductive?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Never tried it but any non polar solvent, maybe? Hexane?

I really don't know though.

I'm just saying that because polar solvents are capable of tearing the ions from a salt. If the solvent were non polar it would be able to tear apart the ions because there is no dipole moments.

I could be wrong.

Also, hexane won't mix with water.
 
is there any particular reason that a salt will dissolve in water, is it because the lowest energy state is achieved?