Non-Dynamical Fields: Definition & Interpretations

• A
  • Thread starter fhenryco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, there are two interpretations of what a non-dynamical field is. The first is a field without a kinetic term in its action, while the second is a field that is not varied to get its own equations of motion. This second interpretation could involve fixing the field with a constraint or using it as a spectator field in another action. However, there are also other ways to consider a non-dynamical field, such as imposing isometries on a metric.
fhenryco
Hello,

May be i have a wrong idea about what is the definition of a non dynamical field. I recently read that it's a field without any kinetic term in the action (first interpretation). But previously i thought that it could be a field with any kind of Lagrangien except that it was not considered dynamical in the sense that it was not to be varied in the action to get it's own equations of motion (second interpretation). In this last sense this field would need to be fixed by another constraint imposed before considering the action where only other fields coupling to it would be dynamical: for instance a flat non dynamical metric g_munu could be fixed a priori by requiring Riem (g)=0.
Another way could be to let the non dynamical field in one action S_1 , actually play it's dynamics in another action S_2, and only enter S_1 as a spectator field, still in the sense that it is not varied to extremize S1 as the other fields in S1.
What is wrong with this second interpretation of what is a non dynamical field : i don't remember any paper where there are non dynamical fields in this sense, so i don't actually know why i have this in mind.
thanks in advance for helpful comments

Physics news on Phys.org
fhenryco said:
Hello,

May be i have a wrong idea about what is the definition of a non dynamical field. I recently read that it's a field without any kinetic term in the action (first interpretation). But previously i thought that it could be a field with any kind of Lagrangien except that it was not considered dynamical in the sense that it was not to be varied in the action to get it's own equations of motion (second interpretation). In this last sense this field would need to be fixed by another constraint imposed before considering the action where only other fields coupling to it would be dynamical: for instance a flat non dynamical metric g_munu could be fixed a priori by requiring Riem (g)=0.
Another way could be to let the non dynamical field in one action S_1 , actually play it's dynamics in another action S_2, and only enter S_1 as a spectator field, still in the sense that it is not varied to extremize S1 as the other fields in S1.
What is wrong with this second interpretation of what is a non dynamical field : i don't remember any paper where there are non dynamical fields in this sense, so i don't actually know why i have this in mind.
thanks in advance for helpful comments

and a third way would be to impose some isometries to a metric entering in an action which can be done rigorously and in a covariant way in the language of killing vectors, not only to fix the form of the metric but even to freeze some modes or elements of the metric which should not be varied anymore leading to less equations than usual ... why not ?

1. What are non-dynamical fields?

Non-dynamical fields are fields in physics that do not change over time or are not affected by the motion or dynamics of other objects. These fields are considered to be static or unchanging.

2. What are some examples of non-dynamical fields?

Examples of non-dynamical fields include gravitational fields, electric fields, and magnetic fields. These fields do not change over time and are not affected by the motion of other objects.

3. How are non-dynamical fields different from dynamical fields?

Non-dynamical fields are different from dynamical fields in that they do not change over time and are not affected by the motion of other objects. Dynamical fields, on the other hand, are affected by the motion of other objects and change over time.

4. What are some interpretations of non-dynamical fields?

One interpretation of non-dynamical fields is that they represent the fundamental forces and interactions in the universe. Another interpretation is that they are a manifestation of the curvature of spacetime.

5. How do non-dynamical fields affect the behavior of matter?

Non-dynamical fields can affect the behavior of matter by exerting forces on them. This can result in the attraction or repulsion of matter, leading to changes in their motion and position.