Non-hermiticity of fourth power of momentum operator in L=0 state of hydrigen atom

In summary, there is a discrepancy between the theorem stating that all finite powers of a hermitian operator are also hermitian and the fact that P^4 is not hermitian on the L=0 states of the Hydrogen atom. This may be due to the fact that P^2 is not a bounded operator and thus not all of its powers are hermitian. The L=0 wavefunctions seem to be well-behaved, but there is a kink at the origin that may affect the hermiticity of P^4. It is unclear if this issue is also present in relativistic quantum mechanics or quantum field theory.
jungljim77
Non-relativistic QM.

I have read in many places that the fourth power of the momentum operator (P^4) is not hermitian on the L=0 states of the Hydrigen atom. Indeed, I was able to pove this using Fnlm for the nlm state of hydrogen, computing <Fn00 | P^4 Fm00> and doing the integration by parts. Some of the boundary terms do not disappear.

However, I was unable to reconcile this with the theorem (which I have also seen in many a book) that if T is a hermitian operator then so are all finite powers of T. If this theorem holds, then since P^2 is hermitian on L=0 states, then so is (P^2)^2. I considered the sequence <Fn00 | P^4 Fm00> = <P^2 Fn00 | P^2 Fm00> = <P^4 Fn00 | Fm00> and looked back through my integration by parts calculation to see if I could find a step that just didn't jive. The only suspicious step I see is moving the first P^2 from the ket over to the bra. Perhaps P^2 is not hermitian when acting on the function (P^2 Fm00) although I couldn't say specifically why that might be the case -- P^2 Fm00 is normalizable (although just 'barely').

If this is the case, it seems the theorem needs to be adjusted to include some sort of 'closure' for the operator in the sense that all powers of the operator acting on a function must produce functions that are in the domain of hermiticity of the operator. (I don't know the technical terms for this sort of closure because that is not my area, but hopefully that makes sense).

Can anyone confirm or deny my statement and possibly enlighten me a bit more?

Is there a better more complete version of the theorem that might apply to the L2(f) space used for states in QM? I am starting to use powers of operators frequently in my work and it could be tedious if I have to constantly prove which powers of an operator acting on some function are hermitian and which are not. (Does this have anything to do with eigenfunctions of the free particle not being normalizable?) Are questions of hermiticity and powers of operators handled in a cleaner way in relativistic QM or a QFT?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

I would guess that the theorem about the hermiticy of powers of an hermitian operator only holds for bounded operators. P^2 does not belong to that class. Hence, without having checked explicitly, I suppose that P^2|Fm00> is not in the domain on which the operator P^2 is defined.

The L=0 wavefunctions are extremely well behaved. They are all like (polynomial in r) times e-r, which means they are finite at the origin and converge at infinity. I can't see anything wrong with applying pn to them as many times as you like, or anything that would cause pn to be non-Hermtian.

Wait, never mind, I take that back. There's a kink at the origin, that's the problem. e-r has a discontinuous slope.

What is the meaning of "non-hermiticity" in the context of the fourth power of momentum operator in the L=0 state of hydrogen atom?

Non-hermiticity refers to the property of an operator where its adjoint (or conjugate transpose) is not equal to itself. In this case, the fourth power of momentum operator in the L=0 state of hydrogen atom is non-hermitian, meaning its adjoint is not equal to itself.

Why is the fourth power of momentum operator in the L=0 state of hydrogen atom non-hermitian?

This can be explained by the fact that the L=0 state of hydrogen atom is spherically symmetric, meaning it is not affected by rotations. This leads to the breaking of hermiticity for the fourth power of momentum operator, as it involves rotations.

What are the implications of the non-hermiticity of the fourth power of momentum operator in the L=0 state of hydrogen atom?

The non-hermiticity of this operator can have consequences in calculations and predictions related to the hydrogen atom, as it affects the properties of the system. It also raises questions about the validity of certain theoretical models and approximations.

How does the non-hermiticity of the fourth power of momentum operator in the L=0 state of hydrogen atom affect the energy spectrum of the atom?

It has been shown that the non-hermiticity of this operator can lead to complex energy eigenvalues, which can introduce uncertainties in the energy spectrum of the hydrogen atom. This can also have implications in the interpretation of experimental results.

Is the non-hermiticity of the fourth power of momentum operator in the L=0 state of hydrogen atom a common phenomenon in quantum mechanics?

No, it is not a common phenomenon. In fact, this specific case has been a topic of debate and research in the field of quantum mechanics, as it challenges some of the fundamental principles and assumptions of the theory. However, there are other examples of non-hermitian operators in quantum mechanics, such as the PT-symmetric Hamiltonian.