Nonlinear Vibration: Find Behaviors of 3D Structures

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the nonlinear behavior of an assembled 3D structure, including useful links for nonlinear vibration and the basic steps for predicting nonlinear behavior. Perturbation analysis and impact testing are suggested as possible methods for determining the extent of nonlinear behavior, but the results will depend on the specific configuration and type of nonlinearities present. The speaker also asks for additional links to understand nonlinear vibration in 3D structures and mentions their interest in exploring second order nonlinearity due to resonance in the results of modal analysis.
kashoo
how can we find the nonlinear behaviour of an assembled Structure...what are useful links regarding Nonlinear Vibration of 3D Structures...what are basic steps to predict the Nonlinear Behavior ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
No Reply? :cry:

If the "assembled" refers to a structure with some complexity (you're not referring to a straightforward structural element like a rod/beam etc. with minute nonlinearities, but rather a general 3D structure with nonlinear time-dependent material response etc.), any finite element method source dealing with vibrations would be a good start (other numerical means will do, but FEM is the best with this intel). The sequence of solving the eqs of motion is in principle the very same, the nonlinearity of the terms just needs to be incorporated within the different stages of analysis. Most general FEM books do a decent job at the basics.

Last edited:
If i use Perturbation analysis to see second order ,third order etc. non linearity and model the structure according to that analysis ...till what extent it will give me results?...what about using Impact Testing Hammer Apparatus to see the Non Linear Behavior?

I'd say everything depends very much about your configuration, without knowing the degree, type etc. of your nonlinearities let alone how they manifest in the system it's tough to give you the results ... :smile: . Sure hammering the thing would probably be really interesting, putting on some instrumentation ever more so.

May i have some useful links regarding the non linear vibration...so as i clear my concepts regarding non linearity in 3d STRUCTURE...i think i would rather go up to only second order non linearity...actually the modes i m getting in the result of modal analysis are in the resonance of about 1:2...which is basic reason behind to go for non linearity.

1. What is nonlinear vibration?

Nonlinear vibration refers to the behavior of a vibrating system that does not follow a linear relationship between the input and output. In other words, the response of the system is not directly proportional to the applied force or displacement.

2. How is nonlinear vibration different from linear vibration?

Unlike linear vibration, nonlinear vibration involves complex interactions between different components of a system, leading to behaviors such as frequency components, subharmonics, and chaotic motion. Linear vibration, on the other hand, follows a simple relationship between the input and output.

3. What are some common methods used to study nonlinear vibration?

Some common methods used to study nonlinear vibration include numerical simulations, analytical techniques, and experimental testing. These methods can help identify different behaviors and patterns in the vibration of 3D structures.

4. How does nonlinear vibration affect the behavior of 3D structures?

Nonlinear vibration can significantly impact the behavior of 3D structures, as it can lead to the emergence of new vibration modes, instability, and energy transfer between different components. It is essential to study these effects to ensure the stability and safety of structures.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying nonlinear vibration in 3D structures?

The study of nonlinear vibration in 3D structures has various real-world applications, such as in aerospace, civil engineering, and mechanical systems. Understanding the behavior of these structures can help improve their design, performance, and safety.