Random Vibration and PSD spectrum profiles

In summary, the use of power spectral density (PSD) in random vibration analysis is due to its ability to provide a meaningful measure of amplitude that is free from the effects of a chosen sampling bandwidth. This allows for a more accurate representation of the input values and the output values. Additionally, the random test and sine sweep test work differently in finding the natural frequency of a component, with the random test being able to measure how different modes interfere with each other. Webinars and articles are available for further understanding of these concepts.
Saumya Kar
I am starting work on structural durability area for after treatment systems and deal with Random Vibration and PSD profiles quite often. However there are few fundamental questions about PSD profiles that I could not get answer to after a lot of search on internet. So finally decided to write to you. Here are my questions:

1. Why random vibration is represented in Power Spectrum (g^2/Hz) and not amplitude Spectrum (g) ? Both of them represent data in frequency domain and if we assume the random vibration data to be repeatable (which is the case almost always), isn't amplitude spectrum good enough ?

2. What are the steps for calculating PSD from time data ? (Like we do Fourier transform on time data to get amplitude specptrum).

3. When we use PSD profiles as input excitation for shaker test, how is spectrum is converted to time data ? When we test the component for X hours with input PSD profile, is the PSD profile repeated certain number of time in that given duration ? If yes how is that done ? (I am trying to correlate to a sine sweep test where we know the time required to cover frequency range and the cycle is repeated a number of times over total duration).

Engineering news on Phys.org
Saumya Kar said:
I am starting work on structural durability area for after treatment systems and deal with Random Vibration and PSD profiles quite often. However there are few fundamental questions about PSD profiles that I could not get answer to after a lot of search on internet. So finally decided to write to you. Here are my questions:

1. Why random vibration is represented in Power Spectrum (g^2/Hz) and not amplitude Spectrum (g) ? Both of them represent data in frequency domain and if we assume the random vibration data to be repeatable (which is the case almost always), isn't amplitude spectrum good enough ?

2. What are the steps for calculating PSD from time data ? (Like we do Fourier transform on time data to get amplitude specptrum).

3. When we use PSD profiles as input excitation for shaker test, how is spectrum is converted to time data ? When we test the component for X hours with input PSD profile, is the PSD profile repeated certain number of time in that given duration ? If yes how is that done ? (I am trying to correlate to a sine sweep test where we know the time required to cover frequency range and the cycle is repeated a number of times over total duration).

Just wanted to make the post active again. If anyone can help with questions, it will be great help :)

Appreciate any leads.

Best Regards
Saumya

The random test and sine sweep test are most commonly used to find the natural frequency of a component. They work differently than each other.
The sine sweep test only excites one frequency at a time. Thats useful for finding individual resonances of a component or system.

However, some resonances interfere with each other. Depending on their superposition, this interference might be constructive or destructive. A sine sweep will only excite resonances that share the same frequency. So if your component has a mode at 120hz, but also a mode at 190hz, the shaker will only be able to excite one of them at a time with a sine sweep test.

With a random test, the entire spectrum is excited. So those resonances are going to happen at the same time as each other. You will be able to measure how the modes interfere with each other. There are webinars that you can watch if you do some digging on the internet. I'll see if I can find anything useful.

G2Hz is giving you acceleration spectral density, rather than power spectral density. The PSD that you are used to seeing would be used to represent the input values. The ASD is the output.

Last edited:
Likes Saumya Kar
RogueOne said:
The random test and sine sweep test are most commonly used to find the natural frequency of a component. They work differently than each other.
The sine sweep test only excites one frequency at a time. Thats useful for finding individual resonances of a component or system.

However, some resonances interfere with each other. Depending on their superposition, this interference might be constructive or destructive. A sine sweep will only excite resonances that share the same frequency. So if your component has a mode at 120hz, but also a mode at 190hz, the shaker will only be able to excite one of them at a time with a sine sweep test.

With a random test, the entire spectrum is excited. So those resonances are going to happen at the same time as each other. You will be able to measure how the modes interfere with each other. There are webinars that you can watch if you do some digging on the internet. I'll see if I can find anything useful.

G2Hz is giving you acceleration spectral density, rather than power spectral density. The PSD that you are used to seeing would be used to represent the input values. The ASD is the output.
Thank you. This explanation helps.

There is a great article by Tom Irvine on why the units are unusual. I have myself wondered this for some time, working in this field. The units are generally motivated by the practical considerations of signal processing, viz., getting a meaningful measure of amplitude that is free from the effects of a chosen sampling bandwidth.

What is random vibration?

Random vibration is a type of mechanical vibration that is characterized by a constantly changing frequency and amplitude. It is different from regular vibration, which has a constant frequency and amplitude. Random vibration is often found in real-world environments and can be caused by various sources such as wind, earthquakes, and machinery.

What is a PSD spectrum profile?

A PSD (Power Spectral Density) spectrum profile is a graphical representation of the distribution of power in a signal over a range of frequencies. It is commonly used in the analysis of random vibration signals to understand the frequency content and amplitude of the vibration. The PSD spectrum profile is calculated by taking the square of the Fourier transform of the signal and plotting it against frequency.

How is a PSD spectrum profile useful in random vibration analysis?

A PSD spectrum profile provides valuable information about the frequency content and amplitude of a random vibration signal. It can be used to identify dominant frequencies and modes of vibration, as well as to compare the vibration characteristics of different systems. The shape of the PSD spectrum profile can also indicate the type of random vibration present, such as Gaussian or non-Gaussian.

What is the difference between a narrowband and a broadband random vibration signal?

A narrowband random vibration signal is one that has a concentrated frequency content, meaning that most of the energy of the signal is contained within a small frequency range. On the other hand, a broadband random vibration signal has a wide range of frequencies and the energy is spread out over a larger frequency range. The PSD spectrum profile for a narrowband signal will have a sharp peak, while a broadband signal will have a flatter profile.

How is a PSD spectrum profile measured or calculated?

A PSD spectrum profile can be measured using a variety of instruments such as accelerometers, vibrometers, or microphones. These instruments measure the vibration or acoustic signals and calculate the power spectral density using mathematical algorithms. The PSD spectrum profile can also be calculated from time-domain data using Fourier analysis. Specialized software programs are available to assist with the measurement and analysis of PSD spectrum profiles.