What other liquids are non-conductive besides vegetable and mineral oil?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ValiumMm
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Liquids
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 4K views
ValiumMm
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi, i am doing a project where i need to get non conducting liquids,

So far i understand Vegetable oil, mineral oil are non conductive,

What other liquids are non conductive ?

Thanks very much
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can find a lot of organic liquids such as n-hexane, heptane...alcanes, olefins, .., which are non-conductive.
 
Where could i get these from, Also they can't corrode metal either, because i am submerging my computer in a liquid, that i want to be really fine and non conductive and not corrode metal, so i can filter it easy to keep cool and not be conductive. thanks for the help
 
So you can try some kinds of transformer oils for the best. If not, I think motocycle oil can do the job.
 
Kk, thanks ill look them up and see how much and located etc, thanks again
 
cesiumfrog said:
Nitrogen? :wink:

Liquid nitrogen is just too cold to submerge a device in unharmed. Anyway, for the cooling effect, it's great.
 
ye, for cooling its great, but I am pretty sure its heapsy Costy $$$
 
pixel01 said:
Liquid nitrogen is just too cold to submerge a device in unharmed.
Shall I take your word for it?
 
cesiumfrog said:
Shall I take your word for it?

I should think liquid nitrogen is ok as a coolant if you have certain pipes or the like to lead it in, not for the case you'd want to submerge the whole PC into it as Cesium mentioned above.
Anyway, thank you for the link.
 
Last edited: