1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonlinearity of Piano hammers help

1. Apr 24, 2010 #1
    I am doing a research essay in high school on researching the nonlinearity of piano hammers, but I am stuck on planning the experiment. Basically my topic is like this paper http://paws.kettering.edu/~drussell/Publications/pianohammer.pdf. However, since I am only in high school, I have trouble understanding some of the concepts, and that is why I cannot plan an experiment. I tried to ask a teacher, but this is a supposed to be an independent research essay and I am not allowed help from the school staff. So, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2010 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Would you mind reading through it and asking specific questions as you come across things you're having difficulty understanding?

4. Apr 25, 2010 #3
    Wow. I was looking at the paper cited and the references listed.
    This is a high school assignment? Yikes.
    Anyway, you came to the right place if you can ask specific questions like Pythagorean suggests.

5. Apr 25, 2010 #4
    The main question I have is how to measure the compression of the felt in the equation F=K*c^p. (where c is compression of the felt). I am having trouble in designing this lab around finding the compression of felt. If anyone could help that would be great

6. Apr 25, 2010 #5
    I do not know this subject at all, but I did see these statements in the paper you cited, page1. You probably already read this:

"Dynamic measurements of the force and felt compression,
    observed during the impact between a piano hammer and a
    rigidly fixed string, have been obtained by Suzuki [6, 7],
    Boutillon [8], and Yanagisawa and Nakamura [9]. Data may
    be fit rather well to Eq.(1), with typical values of p ranging
    from 2.3 to 3.6 for voiced piano hammers."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook