Physics Extended Essay about Gauss' law and/or Lorentz force

VeryNice
Homework Statement
Writing a 4000 words research on any topic in physics
Relevant Equations
F = qE + qv × B
Hi. This is not exactly a homework problem, but I'm posting to ask for help for my extended essay.
I am doing the IB (international baccalaureate) program and we are required to write a 4000 words extended essay on any subject.
I decided to do mine on physics (through process of elimination :olduhh:), but I feel lost. The paper usually has to be experimental for science subjects.
I am interested in Gauss law and/or Lorentz force but I'm struggling to find real life applications that can be tested in a school lab.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'd also appreciate suggestions on any other topics as well.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use an Electroscope to demonstrate Gauss' Law (or more accurately the Coulomb Force), including doing some calculations for deflection versus charge voltage.

The full Lorentz Force is a little more involved to demonstrate, but you could use a CRT display to do it. Unfortunately that involves high voltages and moderate power, so you should only do that if you have a good in-person Mentor who is familiar with that type of setup.

Last edited:
Likes MatinSAR
VeryNice said:
I decided to do mine on physics (through process of elimination :olduhh:), but I feel lost. The paper usually has to be experimental for science subjects.
The process of elimination is OK, but it doesn't work well if it results in your being lost. You put the cart before the horse. If you want to do experimental physics, first you need to decide what experiments are within your realm of capabilities. If you are not good with your hands, you will not be able to go very far and you will end up with a half-a**ed piece of work. As an alternative to an experimental (or theoretical essay) related to physics, have you considered a historical kind of essay?

For example, since you are interested in E&M stuff, you could consider tracing the experimental origin of what we now know as Maxwell's equations, their original formulation(s), the synthesis that Maxwell brought about and their importance in the formulation of special relativity by Einstein.

Likes MatinSAR and berkeman
berkeman said:
You can use an Electroscope to demonstrate Gauss' Law (or more accurately the Coulomb Force), including doing some calculations for deflection versus charge voltage.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely include that as one of the ideas.

Likes berkeman

What is Gauss' law in physics?

Gauss' law is a fundamental principle in physics that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface. It states that the total electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the total charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

What is the Lorentz force in physics?

The Lorentz force is the force experienced by a charged particle moving through an electric and magnetic field. It is given by the equation F = q(E + v x B), where F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field.

How are Gauss' law and Lorentz force related?

Gauss' law and the Lorentz force are related in the sense that Gauss' law can be used to calculate the electric field, which then can be used in the Lorentz force equation to determine the force experienced by a charged particle moving through that electric field. By understanding Gauss' law, we can better understand how charged particles interact with electric and magnetic fields.

What are some real-world applications of Gauss' law and Lorentz force?

Some real-world applications of Gauss' law and the Lorentz force include the design of particle accelerators, the operation of electric motors, and the behavior of charged particles in plasma physics. Understanding these principles is crucial in various fields of physics and engineering.

What are some challenges in researching and writing an extended essay on Gauss' law and Lorentz force?

Some challenges in researching and writing an extended essay on Gauss' law and the Lorentz force may include understanding the mathematical complexities involved, finding relevant and up-to-date sources, and effectively communicating the concepts to a wider audience. It is important to approach the topic with a clear plan and seek guidance from experts in the field.