1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonreal solutions to the TISE

1. Jan 26, 2007 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. I am try to show that a non-real solution to the shrodinger eq., [tex]\psi(x)[/tex] can be expressed as a linear combination of real solutions.

2. Here's what I know:
    Shrodinger Eq. [tex] -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2\psi(x)}{dx^2} +V\psi(x) = E\psi(x)[/tex]

[tex]\psi[/tex] [tex] \psi*[/tex] are non-real solutions

[tex] (\psi + \psi*)[/tex] and[tex]i(\psi -\psi*)[/tex] are real solutions.

3. Well, to start, since I am given two real solutions, I am assuming [tex]\psi[/tex] can be expressed as a linear combination of the two real solutions above. I tried this two different ways:

First I tried plugging the real solutions into the shrodinger eq. and seeing where it got me. I was able to split the equation into two separate equations involving only the original psi and psi* but I don't think this helps me.

I also tried setting psi = A +Bi and seeing if I could combine the real solutions in a way so they equal psi. Also, this hasn't been of much help so far. If I am somewhat on track but am confused, please point me in the right direction. Or am I completely off track? Thank you for your insight.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2007 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take [itex] \psi (x)= \psi_{1}(x)+i\psi_{2}(x) \ , \psi_{1,2}(x)\in \mathbb{R} [/itex]. Plug the psi in the SE and and separate the real and imaginary part. That's all.

4. Jan 27, 2007 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks Dexter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?