1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonuniform Circular Motion - Find Maximum Total Acceleration

1. May 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A turntable is rotating at a constant angular velocity of ω = 4.0 rad/s in the direction of a clockwise fashion. There is a ten-cent coin on the turntable, at a distance of 5 cm from the axis of rotation.

Consider the time interval during which the turntable is accelerated initially from rest to its final angular velocity (ωf = 4.0 rad/s) . This is achieved with a constant angular acceleration (α) for 0.5 s.

Find an expression for the magnitude of total acceleration of the coin in terms of α and ω and use this to determine the maximum total acceleration experienced by the coin.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]a=\sqrt{a_{r}^2+a_{t}^2}[/itex]
    [itex]a_{r}=ω^2r[/itex]
    [itex]a_{t}=αr[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using those equations, I find an expression for the total acceleration:
    [itex]a=r\sqrt{ω^4+α^2}[/itex]
    I don't understand why the problem is asking for a maximum total acceleration. I am already given the values of r, ω, and α, can I just substitute them in to find the answer? Another thing that came into my mind when the word "maximum" pops up is finding the derivative of a function of a(t) with respect to time, but apparently I do not have that function here...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    LovePhys

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Well, since ω varies over the given interval, you have to determine its maximum value. But I suspect you can handle it. :smile:

4. May 22, 2013 #3
    @Doc Al: Thanks for the hint. I think the maximum angular velocity is also the final angular velocity ω=4rad/s, isn't it?
    [itex]α=\frac{Δω}{Δt}=\frac{4}{0.5}=8 (rad/s^2) [/itex]
    So finally maximum [itex] a=0.05\sqrt{4^4+8^2}≈0.894(m/s^2) [/itex]

5. May 22, 2013 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Exactly.

Looks good to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted