Normal and friction forces for 1350kg car with cable tension on inclined surface

  • Thread starter Thread starter fibersnet
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Forces
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
fibersnet
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
1350kg car resting on a plane surface with its brakes locked.
Unit vector [tex]e_n = <.231,.923,.308>[/tex] is perpendicular to the surface. The y-axis points upwards. The direction cosines of a cable supporting the car are [tex]<-.816,.408,-.408>[/tex] and the tension in the cable is 1.2KN. Determine the magnitude of the normal and friction forces the car's wheels exert on the surface.

This is what I have so far:

[tex]F_f = <.231F_x, .923F_y, .308F_z>[/tex]
[tex]T_{AB} = 1200<-.816, .408, -.408>[/tex]
[tex]W = -(1350)*(9.8)\hat{j}[/tex]
[tex]N = |1200|<.231,.923,.308>[/tex]

[tex]0 = F_f + T_{AB} + N - W[/tex]


But when I solve the equations, I come up with N being 9719N, it is supposed to be about 2500 more.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Picture

Here is a picture of the diagram and the math.
 
Attachments
  • car.jpg
    car.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 509
  • math.gif
    math.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 537
Last edited:
.231N + X -.816*1200=0
.923N+Y-1350*9.8+1200*.408=0
.308N + Z -.408*1200=0
The fourth is correct.
 
Got it

Thanks, I figured this out late last night right before i went to bed.

I forgot that <fx,fy,fz> were already in the form of the frictional vector and that the equation .231Fx + .923Fy + .308Fz was just meant to relate the components, they are not the actual components.

Thanks!