Normal Reaction Forces on a Moving Car

• Thread starter wai1997401
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Forces
In summary, the conversation discusses the change in normal reaction force on the rear wheel of a car when it starts to accelerate. Hints are given about drawing a free body diagram and considering the height of friction and the center of mass, as well as the direction of wheel rotation and torque. The main question is why the normal reaction force on the rear wheel will increase during acceleration.
wai1997401

Homework Statement

When the car is at rest, normal reaction 1 and 2 act on the car's front wheel and rear wheel respectively . The problem is when the car starts to accelerates by rotating the wheels ,how would the normal reaction force change?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand why the normal reaction force action on the rear wheel will increase after accelerating. I am much obliged if one can help me :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello wai, and welcome to PF. Please help us helping you with working out number 2 and 3 a little more. That way you get more appropriate help, and it avoids you just getting an answer without really being helped or learning anything.

In the case of the car you want to draw a free body diagram of an accelerating car. It doesn't leave the ground and it stays level, so there are several balances to be drawn up.

Perhaps one hint: "normal reaction force action on the rear wheel will increase after accelerating" is wrong. That should be "during".

Perhaps another one: ever heard of a "wheelie" ? Might have something to do with accelerating !

Do you really need more hints ?

sorry for the poor description haha.i know that the change in normal reaction has something to do with friction, and the moment produced by friction about the center of gravity, but i really can't get why the R2 will increase.

There are at least 2 ways to look at it...

Hints:

1) At what height does friction with the road act?
At what height is the centre of mass?
Draw a diagram.

2) Which way do the wheels turn? Think about torque.

i have one question to ask : if the car moves to the right,the wheels rotate clockwisely, so the friction action the wheels is on the right?

Related to Normal Reaction Forces on a Moving Car

What are the main forces acting on a moving car?

The main forces acting on a moving car are the force of friction, the force of air resistance, and the force of gravity.

What is the role of friction in a moving car?

Friction is the force that opposes the motion of the car. It acts between the tires and the road, providing the necessary grip for the car to move forward.

How does air resistance affect a moving car?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that acts in the opposite direction of the car's motion. It increases with speed and can slow down the car's acceleration.

What is the impact of gravity on a moving car?

Gravity is the force that pulls the car towards the ground. It affects the car's weight and can also impact the car's speed and acceleration when driving up or down a slope.

How can understanding these forces help in improving a car's performance?

By understanding the forces acting on a moving car, engineers can design and optimize the car's performance and handling. For example, reducing air resistance can improve a car's speed and fuel efficiency, while increasing friction can improve its grip and handling.