Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Numerical method to solve high order ODEs.

1. Aug 27, 2008 #1
    here is a simplified version of my working equtions
    [tex]
    y''' = \frac{(y'' y+y' y) y + y'y''}{y' + y''}
    [/tex]
    and 3 related boundary conditions, is there some hints to solve such equation numerically?

ThX

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

This might sound crazy, but note that everything here is a function of y. You may not have to resort to numerical solutions. But then again I haven't tried it out yet. Looks a little intimidating.

4. Aug 27, 2008 #3
    in the equation,
    [tex]y = y(x) [/tex]
    The original equation are much more complex, it is not possible to get a exact analytical solution for that. What I want to learn is the general numerical method to solve such equation.

5. Aug 27, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Let u= y'(x), v= y"(x). Then your equation is becomes
    [tex]y'= \frac{(v y+u y) y + uv}{y + v}[/tex]
    That together with y'= u and u'= v gives you three interconnected first order equations. Do, say, a 4th order Runge-Kutta, advancing the step in all three equations at the same time.

6. Aug 27, 2008 #5
    Thats would I would suggest. Although the Adams-Moulton-Bashforth method would work as well and probably give you a little bit more accuracy. But you will need the RK4 for the first couple steps anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?