NYTimes: [Scientific] Fraud Scandals Sap China’s Dream...

• News
  • Thread starter diogenesNY
  • Start date
Of interest:

New York Times - October 13, 2017

Fraud Scandals Sap China’s Dream of Becoming a Science Superpower

By AMY QIN

BEIJING — Having conquered world markets and challenged American political and military leadership, China has set its sights on becoming a global powerhouse in a different field: scientific research.

Since 2012, the country has retracted more scientific papers because of faked peer reviews than all other countries and territories put together, according to Retraction Watch, a blog that tracks and seeks to publicize retractions of research papers.

...article continues:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/13/...candals.html&eventName=Watching-article-click

diogenesNY

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I see no surprise in that. I have a close friend who does a fair amount of business with academics in China (his wife is Chinese and translates for him) and he tells me that the goal is quantity of papers, not quality.

In the 1950's the USSR's planned economy set production goals for EVERYTHING and just as one result of that, shoe plants churned out cardboard shoes because there was no test for quality, just quantity. Plant managers, and workers, were rewarded for exceeding their quotas and people's shoes fell apart quickly.

Communism doesn't work all that well in practice, although to be fair, China today is doing WAY better than the USSR was doing back then.

HAYAO
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I see no surprise in that. I have a close friend who does a fair amount of business with academics in China (his wife is Chinese and translates for him) and he tells me that the goal is quantity of papers, not quality.

In the 1950's the USSR's planned economy set production goals for EVERYTHING and just as one result of that, shoe plants churned out cardboard shoes because there was no test for quality, just quantity. Plant managers, and workers, were rewarded for exceeding their quotas and people's shoes fell apart quickly.

Communism doesn't work all that well in practice, although to be fair, China today is doing WAY better than the USSR was doing back then.
I personally don't really think China is a communist country at all. They are just claiming that they are.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I personally don't really think China is a communist country at all. They are just claiming that they are.
They certainly are a mixed something. I agree that they are not much like the USSR of the 50's->80's

Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
don't really think China is a communist country at all
Personality cults are personality cults; particularly when the personalities are dead/stuffed, Stalin/Lenin/Mao.

The main reason China is anything at all is Hong Kong. Look at the history of the Chinese economy and exports. There is Pre-HK and Post HK.

When the Chinese took over HK from the British at the end of the 99 year lease, they saw how well it worked and said, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

And that is how China got to be China of today.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
When the Chinese took over HK from the British at the end of the 99 year lease, they saw how well it worked and said, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
I think the current residents of Hong Kong would be ASTOUNDED to hear this. The mainland Chinese meddle quite heavily in the affairs of HK. I think you don't keep up with the news.

My point is from the perspective of the Chinese Govt, not the HK residents. They found the golden goose and all they did was changed who owned the goose not how the goose did it's work.