Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Obama to be told dirt is cancerous

1. May 6, 2010 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

A new way of viewing the cancer debate or ... crackpottery?

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2010 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. May 6, 2010 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

5. May 6, 2010 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm not really clear on what your question is. The title of the thread refers to radon, which is a quite mainstream issue. The cell phone thing is crackpottery combined with a misunderstanding of the concept of risk analysis.

Neither of these issues is "new" and I'm not sure what debate you are referring to.

And the source most certainly is relevant. Not just so we know who'se words we're reading but also so we can read the rest of the article and get more context and explanations. Your OP was so vague it is tough to know what the heck you're talking about without reading the article!

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  6. May 6, 2010 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I was joking around :biggrin: . I certainly am interested in seeing what peoples opinions are on this though. A two person panel that reports directly to the President who seem to believe that cell phones cause cancer? What exactly is the science behind radon contamination in soil? That is, is it naturally occurring or is it man-made? Is it prudent to scare people into thinking twice about getting medical procedures that require some form of exposure to radiation? Sounds a little over the top to me...

7. May 6, 2010 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Uranium makes Radon, Radon is a particularly effective way of causing lung cancer.
    The source is natural.
    The problem - people living in airtight boxes built on granite - is man made.
    The solution is also easy, fitting a $10 ventilation fan in your basement is a lot more cost effective than campaigns to ban second hand smoke that give you 1:30,000 increased chance of lung cancer.

Doctors need to start thinking about the risk of CAT scans (equal to 200-300 regular x-rays) before automatically ordering them just as a CYA exercise or because the insurance is paying for them.
    Especially in children, ordering a head CT for every kid that fell off a skateboard 'just in case' isn't risk free.

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  8. May 6, 2010 #7

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
    2017 Award

It's important to note that radon is a gas produced from the decay of naturally occurring uranium. So, while it comes from soil, it is not typically thought of as a component of dirt. So, saying radon causes cancer (which it does) is not the same as saying dirt causes cancer.

Because radon is a radioactive gas, it is particularly effective at causing lung cancer.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook