Objections to Previous Time Traveler's Conventions Needed

In summary, a Maker group for teens at the Pensacola MESS Hall is planning a time-traveler's convention inspired by MIT and Stephen Hawking. They are looking to improve on previous design flaws and are seeking advice on what to consider when designing the invitation, its transmission, and how to prove time travel. Examples from previous conventions include limiting time travel to when the time machine was built and avoiding the grandfather paradox. The students also want to post information about the convention before it happens and not after, and are considering creative ways to preserve the invitation for future time travelers, such as carving it into stone or placing it at the bottom of the ocean. The group plans to involve the local community and tourism board to promote the event.
whitsona
I run a Maker group for teens at the Pensacola MESS Hall. They have decided to host a time-traveler's convention along the lines of the one hosted at MIT and by Stephen Hawking.

The planning committee is looking to improve on previous design flaws in the other conventions. (Dr. Who raised a few...) Can you help us out by listing some things the kids should consider in their design of the invitation, its transmission and the way time travel will be proven?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, sorry!

So, around 2005, a student at MIT read a comic where the author noted that a time traveler's convention only needed to happen once. This gave him the idea to host one. So, they set up such a convention in a dorm room in East Campus. They told no one until after the convention, when an invitation was issued. For this invitation, the students printed out information about the time and date of the convention on acid-free paper and inserted them into old books-- thinking these would be preserved into the future.

In 2009, Stephen Hawking did the same thing. A link to an image of his invitation can be found here. He published his invitation very widely in the media. Still, nobody showed.

I haven't seen the episode, but one of my teens said that Dr. Who once commented about not showing up to one of these and explained why.

My teens are focused on the idea that neither of these invitations would have survived in a post-apocalyptic world and that time travel may come very far in the future-- after maybe more than one post-apocalyptic period. And, they also want to post information about the convention before it happens and not after (so that we can have a pizza party and do a quantum eraser experiment as a little tiny version of time travel). So, they also have the problem of how the time travelers will prove that they are really from the future, since we will preannounce the convention.

Many thanks!

How about carving them into stone? NOT "some place that's likely to be preserved", but below the Presidents at Mt. Rushmore and that huge statue of Geronimo.

Likes whitsona
Noisy Rhysling said:
How about carving them into stone? NOT "some place that's likely to be preserved", but below the Presidents at Mt. Rushmore and that huge statue of Geronimo.
Hmm. We are in the Florida Panhandle. Written in stone, I think I can do. But, getting it to Rushmore would be hard. We are planning this event IRL but figured that sci fi writers and fans would be our best advisers.

whitsona said:
Hmm. We are in the Florida Panhandle. Written in stone, I think I can do. But, getting it to Rushmore would be hard. We are planning this event IRL but figured that sci fi writers and fans would be our best advisers.
How about a obelisk in the local area then? Maybe in a local park? The idea is to have a fairly durable and not easily movable object that will be there in the future. Cemeteries and parks are good locations for such things. We have a sculpture park in St. Louis where such an item would be welcomed, I think.

Likes whitsona
Nice! That I think I can pull off. We are planning to get our local Tourism Board involved to promote it. So, they might be able to help find a location.

Having been to East Campus Dorm at MIT, I would definitely rather go to a Time Traveler's Convention with nice beaches. But, I have to admit, I would go to Hawking's if I had to choose. Just to see the look on his face.

Of course, as a Time Traveler, you don't have to choose just one. You could go to all of them.

How about a message at the bottom of the ocean or on the moon?

Likes whitsona
whitsona said:
Nice! That I think I can pull off. We are planning to get our local Tourism Board involved to promote it. So, they might be able to help find a location.

Having been to East Campus Dorm at MIT, I would definitely rather go to a Time Traveler's Convention with nice beaches. But, I have to admit, I would go to Hawking's if I had to choose. Just to see the look on his face.

Of course, as a Time Traveler, you don't have to choose just one. You could go to all of them.
You could get a local tombstone maker or granite dealer to donate the raw materials in exchange for a small "Granite courtesy of" plaque, I think. The tombstone people could carve your message. Do a Go Fund Me for ducats if needed?

Likes whitsona
jedishrfu said:
How about a message at the bottom of the ocean or on the moon?
Bottom of the ocean, we can do. I think we can get help from an oil rig in LA. Has to be achievable IRL. We are actually holding the convention, not just writing about.

1. What are the main objections to previous time traveler's conventions?

The main objections to previous time traveler's conventions include the paradoxes that can arise from meeting one's past or future self, the potential for altering the timeline and causing unforeseen consequences, and the difficulty of verifying the legitimacy of a time traveler's claims.

2. Can time travel truly be possible?

While the concept of time travel has been explored in science fiction, there is currently no scientific evidence to support its feasibility. The laws of physics, particularly the conservation of energy and the second law of thermodynamics, pose significant challenges to the idea of time travel.

3. Are there any successful examples of time travel conventions?

No, there have not been any confirmed instances of successful time travel conventions. While there have been reported cases of individuals claiming to be time travelers, these claims have not been scientifically verified.

4. How do scientists respond to the concept of time travel?

The scientific community generally views time travel as a hypothetical concept that has not yet been proven or disproven. Some scientists believe that time travel is theoretically possible within the laws of physics, while others argue that it is not feasible or practical.

5. Are there any potential benefits to time travel conventions?

There are potential benefits to time travel conventions, such as gaining insight into historical events or preventing catastrophic events from occurring. However, these benefits must be weighed against the potential risks and ethical concerns surrounding time travel.