Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Observational evidence for bottom-up structure formation

1. Jul 25, 2011 #1
    I know that the only dark matter models consistant with the cosmic microwave background radiation require bottom-up structure formation, but all of the relevant press releases I've read are about finding surprisingly large/mature structures in the early universe. Do the same telescopes/experiments also find many places after reionization where galaxy clusters or superclusters clearly hadn't formed yet, but decided they weren't worth reporting about (or they reported them and I didn't find those reports)? Also, what observations do we have of bottom-up structure formation actually occurring over time, rather than observations of the CMB or modern universe that just constrain current models?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2011 #2

Dotini

Gold Member

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't radio telescopy discovering that the universe is spanned by vast filaments, which then create the stars and galaxies at the intersections?

Respectfully,
    Steve

4. Jul 26, 2011 #3
    According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structure_formation , that did happen, but those filaments formed bottom-up as the first stars and galaxies were pulled towards each other.

Sorry if I made the question sound more complicated than it was; I guess a simpler way of asking it is what evidence do we have of bottom-up structure formation other than the cosmic microwave background radiation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook