Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Observed Redshift Variation Over TIme

1. Apr 12, 2015 #1

bitznbitez

Gold Member

Recently we got to watch G2 as its orbit took it around the black hole at the center of the galaxy. This showed a visual change in direction along with a corresponding redshift to blue shift change on a relatively short timeline. It was really a great event.

Binary stars exhibit the same behavior but where are specific instances of this documented ? I have been unable to locate a catalog binary stars and their orbital periods. I'm sure it exists but all my googles dredge up are generic explanations devoid of any specific named pairs.

Are there any other objects besides G1/2 at galactic center, and binary stars, that we have been able to a change in direction and change in redshift ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2015 #2

bitznbitez

Gold Member

4. Apr 13, 2015 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Getting a measurable change in redshift of an orbiting body is directionally dependent - the perpendicularity of the orbital plane to our line of sight being a relevant factor. We can, however, measure the direction of rotation and rotatational velocity of fairly distant galaxies rather easily using doppler shifts. See http://astro.berkeley.edu/~mwhite/darkmatter/rotcurve.html for discussion.

5. Apr 13, 2015 #4

bitznbitez

Gold Member

Yes you are correct it is directionally dependent and that is what I was hoping to find. With G2 thats what we witnessed a directional change and a corresponding redshift change. I'm sure studies of orbital pairs have been done I just can't find them.

I'll keep looking and thanks for the link.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook